06: alondra

Within ten minutes of Margot leaving, everything went to shit. When Pritchett and Eli were at the bar, she was approached by a girl that Eli had been messaging during their short break. Except they'd continued messaging after he and Pritchett got back together.

There were text messages from an hour before we got to the bar where he told the girl he would come see her later that night. The girl spotted him with Pritchett and game over.

Hoes before bros.

Pritchett started doing shots after a very public break up and of course I got roped into doing them with her. To follow girl code, Ruby started doing shots with us, but Peyton stayed sober.

As did Jack.

Coop and Dylan both did a shot, but switched back to their beers after.

The shots are helpful with getting me to open up and I'm a giggling mess as Pritchett talks about what a terrible lay Eli was. Ruby and I are acting like we've been best friends just as long Pritchett and I have been.

I'm on my way to the bar for another round when Jack pulls me to the side. My feet trip over each other and I stumble straight into his chest.

Another giggle erupts from me and I rest my hand on his shirt, feeling his sharp intake of breath. "Hi Jack."

His full lips quirk upwards in a ghost of a smile as he struggles to maintain a serious face. "Where are you going?"

"To the bar for more shots, duh."

"Don't you think you've had enough, darling?"

I have to be imagining the concern swimming in his eyes.

Or he's only worried because I'm his coach's daughter. That's exactly what is has to be. I'm his tutor.

I shake my head, feeling the room spin a little as the music resonates through my head. "I'm fine Jack. Go back to Peyton. I'm sure she misses you."

Confusion warps his face as I step back away from him, his hands dropping from my hips. "Huh?"

That was stupid Al. Now he's going to know that you've been watching them together all night. Fuck. Keep your mouth shut.

"I need to pee," I squeak out, slipping past him quickly. Horror hits me only once I make it into the bathroom that I just let Jack know I was bothered that Peyton was sitting on his lap.

I do actually have to use the bathroom though and thankfully it's not busy for it being a Saturday night. I take a couple of deep breathes trying to calm myself down, but I'm nervous. Jack makes me nervous.

What a terrifying thought.

Jesus Christ Al. Get it together. Jack is one of Dad's players. He's clearly with Peyton. I'm only tutoring him because the look in his eyes when he told me about his dyslexia.

I wobble a little bit on my feet, shaking my head as I look at myself in the mirror.

My eyes are bleary and I readjust the beanie on my head to where it's not covering nearly my entire forehead.

Jack isn't your friend, I remind myself carefully.

He's a hockey player.

Dad's star hockey player.

But Jack is...stubborn, hot, and a great kisser.

I'm drunk.

That's all this is.

A few girls stumble into the bathroom drunk, jolting me out of my silent conversation with myself. I wander back into the hallway to make my way towards the bar and I catch sight of someone I never planned on seeing again. My breath catches in my chest and my feet stop moving on their own accord.