23: alondra

Jack was good to go by Saturday night for the first game of the season. Once the blizzard let up and made it possible for the players to get to the rink, they spent nearly all their time practicing. This meant that I've barely seen Jack the last couple of days, save for our classes together.

But he's been in a great mood since they pulled off a win in the last period; more specifically Jack pulled off the win. We're at Twin City celebrating with everyone.

He's been acting like nothing happened. Technically I'm not supposed to know anything happened because I wasn't supposed to hear his argument with Peyton. I did get asked where I slept the next morning as I was making pancakes and it was awkward as hell.

Jack pads down the steps softly, attracting my attention away from the batter I was pouring. He looks so much better. It must have just been a twenty-four hour bug.

He stretches and then his eyes widen in surprise. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like I'm doing? Making breakfast," I answer nicely, trying to gauge what his mood is right now. I didn't see him again last night after I went to Peyton's room to hang out.

"Where'd you sleep last night? You weren't there when I woke up in the middle of the night." Jack asks, making himself a cup of coffee using their Keurig. "I assumed you were going to stay with me."

"I stayed in Peyton's room."

I steal a quick look up at him to see a look of shock on Jack's face. His mouth shuts and he takes his mug to sit on the counter next to me. "Got it."

"Are you feeling better?" I ask carefully, and he musters a faint smile that appears to be forced.

"Much. Thanks for helping take care of me. I appreciate it."

I smile back at Jack, "Of course. What else are friends for?" It hurts to say, but the reality of it is that I can't change his mind about relationships. Friends is all we're ever going to be. The sooner I accept that and my heart realizes it, the better off I'll be.

I'm wearing one of Jack's away jerseys only because he insisted on it. It was more of a fight to not wear it so I agreed. The guys are all wearing their button down's from the game day attire my dad makes them wear. I'm certainly not complaining. Jack looks hot.

I've been sipping on the same beer so long, I'm sure it's lukewarm by now. Coop is making out with some girl on the pool table and Peyton's up at the bar grabbing us shots. I've been chatting with Ruby and Dylan most of the night.

Jack is talking to some girl who caught him on his way back from the jukebox. I've looked over so many times that Pritchett is giving me a skeptical look. She has no room to talk though. Eli's here with her because Pritchett decided to get back with him.

I swear she has no backbone when it comes to him.

Hudson's in town for the weekend so Margot is making the most of it in her dorm room since her roommate is coincidentally back home for a couple of days. I'm not even upset that she's with him because I know how much she misses him. I'm happy he was able to take a break from school to come see her.

"You played one hell of a game," I tell Dylan who is sitting on the other side of the booth next to Ruby. She's been giving Eli dirty looks all night.

"Thanks Al. Guess the last couple of days of practicing have worked out well for me."

"Or you're just great at what you do." Ruby says proudly, leaning up to kiss his cheek.

"Practice makes perfect," I say just as Jack slides into the booth next to me.