35: alondra

The next couple of weeks flew by. Finals helped distract me from my broken heart, but it's like Jack was everywhere. He played phenomenal in the last few games they had. I've hung out with Ruby and Peyton a few times, both of them wondering what happened, but I couldn't find the right words to explain what had been going on between me and Jack.

My black eye had all but faded, passing as a mere shadow that I can cover with makeup. Which is exactly what I did before coming here.

I hesitate before knocking on the frame of the door. My dad swivels in his chair, "Al, come in."

When I got his text this morning asking me to swing by after my final, I was shocked. I got a text from him the morning of my birthday telling me happy birthday, but nothing until today.

"Hi Dad," I say, stepping into his office.

It's weird being at the rink, especially without Jack.

In class I can feel him staring at me the entire time, but other than the awkward hello, we don't speak. Jack called me a couple times the first few days, but I screened all of them.

All of this is fucking weird. I'm so used to spending all my time with Jack and now we aren't even speaking. But I guess that's all my fault. I could have continued pretending if I really wanted to. I didn't have to implode everything.

"So I wanted to talk to you about a couple things." He says setting his playbook down on the desk. "You can sit if you want," Dad motions towards the empty chairs next to me.

I take a seat silently. The football coach probably spoke to him about Grady. Tomorrow is when I'm supposed to make a statement about why I should be granted a restraining order. I haven't decided if I use the pictures of what he did after the temporary restraining order was put in place.

"What would you like to talk about?" I ask calmly.

"I talked to Jack." He starts off and I try to keep my face composed. "I'm sorry Alondra. I should never have said what I said. I overreacted to the two of you being friends. You're welcome to skate whenever the team isn't using the rink."

"He shouldn't have said anything to you about it. I asked Jack not to."

"He was right to. I know I haven't been very...accepting of your friendship, but I'm okay with it. How was the trip to Texas? Did you have a good time?" Dad asks, trying to start a normal conversation.

"Dad, why am I here? I know it's not to talk about Jack." I say, cutting to the chase because I don't want to think about that trip. It was incredible and that is where our first time together was. It hurts a little too much to think about it.

Dad sighs and leans forward to rest his forearms on the table, "Did you file a restraining order against your ex-boyfriend Grady Smith? The one on the football team here?"

This is it. I'm finally going to tell them what really went on during my relationship with Grady. "I did. He used to physically assault me while we were together and is refusing to leave me alone even though we're broken up." I'm shocked by how easily it comes out. My voice is strong and never wavers. I'm done hiding.

A short giggle escapes my lips that I'm sure makes me sound crazy. It feels surreal to say it.

His jaw drops, closes, and then clenches tightly. "He what?"

My stomach flops nervously in my stomach as I pull my phone out and move to the folder where I've catalogued everything. I slide it across his desk to let him look through the photos. Each time he moves to the next photo, his eyes grow a little cloudier. He doesn't get through all of them before sliding the phone back. Dad's seen enough.