16: jack

My adrenaline is sky high right now. I've showered and changed back into my game day dress suit that Coach requires us to wear, even for preseason games.

We just kicked Michigan's asses and I feel like I'm on cloud nine. I scored two goals and had an assist. Coop was a beast tonight blocking every shot they took at him.

Momma is waiting with Al and Ruby. Peyton was coming with some of her other friends so I'll just catch up with her at the house. I'm just happy that Al came. Everyone played great but I was on fire.

There's no way she didn't have fun tonight. The energy in the crowd was electric. I could feel it pulsing through my veins every second on the ice tonight.

When I spot Al, my smile grows when I see how she's decked out in maroon and gold. She's chatting with Ruby and my mom. It does some strange thing to my stomach causing it to flip flop.

Alondra sees me and her smile is...radiant. Absolutely radiant. Then she's darting towards me. I brace myself for impact as she practically throws herself into my arms. "Jack, you were fucking amazing out there!" She says excitedly and I hug her tightly.

"Thanks for coming," I say, trying to hide the emotion in my voice. I know what it meant for her to come tonight, but she came anyway.

"I knew you were good, but holy shit." I set Al down and then I'm being hugged by Momma.

"Oh baby, you played so well." She says and I close my eyes, leaning into her embrace entirely. She smells like home. I saw her earlier but just the fact she got to see me play tonight is incredible.

At this point I'm feeling so many emotions coming off the game that I get choked up. "I love you." I say, and Momma squeezes tighter, if even possible.

"I'm so proud of you."

I finally pull away after feeling a clap on my shoulder and it's just Dylan. "Share the love bro," He teases and Momma smiles up at him.

"Oh Dylan, don't worry. You played great as well." She says, hugging him next.

Ruby gives me a brief hug and I wrap my arm over Al's shoulder. "So you had fun?" I ask, lowering my voice for only her to hear.

She sighs, clearly not very happy to be admitting it. I can't help but grin when Alondra reluctantly tells me that she had a good time. I knew she would, it was just a matter of getting her here.

"Drinks at Twin City?" Connor, one of the seniors asks me, coming up behind us.

I shake my head shortly, "Sorry, not this time. I'm going to take my momma out for dinner."

"What about you Dyl?" He asks and Dylan grins.

"What did Coop say he's doing?"

Connor scoffs, "Coming of course, Ruby, you in?"

Momma looks at me, "Jack, go out with your friends. It's getting late anyways and I should go back to the hotel."

"Absolutely not, I want to celebrate with you."

"We see him all the time, you'd be taking him off our hands," Ruby says encouragingly.

I smile gratefully at her and then I notice that Momma's talking to Al. "-coming too right?"

"Oh no, I wouldn't want to impose. He's been so excited that you're coming. I don't want to take any time away from you." Al says, chuckling nervously.

Dylan and Ruby walk off towards his car with Connor. I squeeze Al's shoulder gently, "You should come. It's not imposing at all if I want you there."