26: alondra

"You don't have to come with me every time I skate, you know that right?" I ask, turning to look at Jack next to me.

"I know I don't have to. Maybe I like skating with you."

"You're the one who has morning skate in thirty minutes and practice again this afternoon."

Jack chuckles, "I'm aware. We have a light practice scheduled tonight to help rest up before tomorrow's game. I think I'd spend my whole day out here if I could. It'd be the best thing ever."

"You wouldn't get sick of it?" I ask curiously.

"Never. When I was a kid, it was the one place my dad wouldn't go. It was safe for me to be myself and just be a kid. Helped I was good at it," He winks at me, trying to offset what he just shared.

"I'll bet. Why wouldn't he go to the rink?"

He shrugs, "Texas is football country. I could throw a ball, but I didn't care for it. I've loved skating since the first time Momma took me. He didn't like that I was into something she loved."

I remember what Peyton told me weeks ago about Jack see his mom beaten by his dad. "I'm sorry."

"Darling, I don't ever want you to apologize for him. He wasn't a good guy." Jack says firmly, leaving plenty unsaid though.

"But you know that you're a good guy, right?"

He smiles at me, but it doesn't quite meet his eyes. "Thanks."

I drag my skate behind my other, coming to a short stop. "I mean it Jack. You've been a great friend to me." I suck in a short breath as he stops in front of me. "You're someone I trust and like spending time with."

Jack reaches for me and tucks some of my hair behind my ear. I lean forward and kiss him briefly on the lips. "I feel safe around you." I continue, watching as something flickers in his eyes. He presses his lips to my forehead, lingering there for a moment before pulling away.

"I'm glad," Jack says softly. He clears his throat a moment later, "We probably have time for a few more laps before you should get going."

I check my phone for the time to see that he's right. I push off and skate quickly around the corner. Jack's there in a second, keeping pace with me easily. "What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" I ask, curious if he's sticking around or going home.

"I think I'm going to try and go home if our schedule lets us. Momma's been looking at flights for me and I kinda really miss her." He admits, running a hand through his hair.

"I bet. You weren't kidding when you said you were a momma's boy." I tease.

"Nope, she's the most important person in my life. I owe her everything. When I sign with whatever team hopefully picks me up, I'm going to send her on a trip to Europe. She's always wanted to go, but Momma had me young and didn't have the chance to. It's the least I can do for her."

Fuck if I didn't like him before, hearing how much he cares about his mom causes my heart to flip flop.

"She's lucky to have you."

Jack casts a slanted smile at me, his dimples prominent. Stupid dimples. "I'm lucky to have her," He corrects and I take a hard left to spin tightly.

I'm not ready to leave yet. I love being out here. When I look back at Jack, he's still smiling at me. "What?" I ask and he shrugs.

"You just look happy."

"Because I am. There's nothing like being on the ice." I answer honestly, pulling my hair up into a bun to keep it off my shoulders.