CHAPTER 22- Salagubang

I drove for the next six hours from Ilocos Sur because I felt that Eira was already tired. She just remained awake and taught me the directions on which way to go.

It's already 3 am when I parked the car to an unfamiliar place. It's a kind of place that is very far from the Urban life. It was hard for me to check the neighborhood because it is still dark. I am really tired too. All I can see are trees, houses made of bamboo or traditional stuff.

The neighborhood is quiet and all I can hear are the sounds of crickets.

I saw Eira closed her eyes for a few seconds and looked at me. I can feel that she is sleepy from the 11 hours drive from Manila.

We are in Cagayan Valley and I don't know why she brought me here. This is literally an escape from all of our problems.

"Let's go.. I'm super tired." I heard her whisper before going out of the car.

Sumunod naman ako sa kanya at binitbit ko ang mga pinimili namin sa Ilocos. I saw a very elegant Modernized Nipa Hut while following Eira. It is just a single storey Nipa Hut. Sobrang dilim and Eira is just using the flashlight of her phone while opening the door of the house.

Sa kanya ba itong bahay na ito?

She opened the lights and I was amazed by the interior of the house. I saw a huge painting of her mom just in front of the door of the house.

The Nipa hut is made out of Bamboo materials, there's a couch that is made out of woods but with sofa bed cover, there's a wooden table, there's a lamp made out of rattan that gives light to the living room attached to huge ceiling fan as well.

Eira made her way to the comfort room. While I am still amazed by the house and checking each and every materials that were put into this. This is what I want, a simple lifestyle and a happy life.

There are two bedrooms. One Master's Bedroom with a queen size bed with a sliding glass door heading towards the balcony and the other room is a small room with a double deck.

After I showered, nahiga na ako sa tabi ni Eira na mahimbing na natutulog ngayon. Sobrang napagod talaga siya sa biyahe, nakakaawa naman.

Niyakap ko siya ng mahigpit at ang sarap lang ng ganitong feeling kasi ang presko sa lugar na ito. Wala nang manggagambala sa amin.

"Bakit hindi mo sinabi na pupunta ka rito, Ineng? Edi napaghainan ko kayo kaninang umagahan? Kung hindi lamang sumilip si Buboy dito hindi ko pa malalaman na kayo'y naparito." Nadinig kong banggit ng medyo pamilyar na boses na babae.

Nagising ako dahil sa dalawang nag-uusap. I checked my phone and saw missed calls from Chinee. Naka silent kasi ang phone ko kaninang madaling araw. It's already 1 pm in the afternoon, masyado yatang napahaba ang tulog ko sa pagod kagabi.

Wala na rin si Eira sa tabi ko. Malamang nasa kusina siya na may kausap na matanda.

"Biglaan lang po Nanay Elizabeth. Good thing that you're here too because I thought you're in Manila. Also, don't tell my Dad and Lorenzo about this nanay, okay?" I heard Eira saying to Nanay Elizabeth kahit nasa loob pa rin ako ng kwarto.

Oh, so Nanay is here, yes! 

"Sino ba kasama mo anak at pinagtataguan mo ang iyong ama at si Lorenzo?" Narinig kong tanong ni Nanay Elizabeth sa girlfriend ko.

"It's Athena, nanay. She's my girlfriend already.." Pagbunyag ni Eira kay Nanay Elizabeth.

Hindi ko alam ang nangyari dahil katahimikan ang namayani sa kanilang dalawa.