Special friend or just a friend?

"...Okay, but can we please talk about Beau?" Lana, my work friend says to the group we were currently with. It was lunch and we had gathered around in my office after we ordered food to the building. I look up, licking the corner of my mouth as I smile at her. "She was supposed to be the rookie here and yet she already has a big interview coming out with someone very important in the business world."

Luke, Sadie, Ashton and Lana all give rounds of applause, Ashton mockingly bows to me and I laugh as I throw my trash. "Well she's only doing so because she knows him personally so she wanted him all to herself." Sadie says, a hint of envy behind her words but her face also showed that she may had been kidding.

"Well, sometimes it pays to know someone." I say to Sadie as I sanitize my hands. "He was very open and out of his shell." I shrug and Luke and Ashton look at each other tauntingly.

"We should do something," Ashton says. "To celebrate when your issue comes out this month. What do you reckon?"

"Oh my god, yes." Lana says. "I would kill for a pornstar martini right now."

I laugh at her words. "Yeah, we will see." I say as I shoo them out of my office so that I could get back to work. As I'm closing the door though, my phone rings in my purse and I hurry to get it. A picture of Harry I snuck is plastered across my phone screen with an incoming call. I grin as I answer. "Why, hello. I was just finishing up lunch."

"Shit." He curses on the other end. "You had lunch already?"

"Yeah, we got an early lunch today, why?" I recline back on my seat.

"I was just kind of hoping that I could see you for your lunch hour, maybe go out to eat somewhere before you went back."

"I can see you after-"

"I can't today." He responds and something about his tone is off, kind of makes me believe he's mad or annoyed.

"And why not?"

"I'm off to Manchester for a couple of days, the board of directors want to see how much they've progressed on the new building for the London branch." He says and I can hear him moving around. As he's speaking, my phone vibrates and when I bring it to my face there's an unknown number.

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
beau, it's nes, is he around or can we talk?

I read the text. "...Beau?"

"Yes?"

"Are you alright? You went silent..."

"I'm fine," I say, I decide not to say a word about the text to Harry. He didn't want me to talk to Nes last time, if I tell him he won't want me to talk to her again. "How much is a couple of days?"

Harry intakes a breath. "Just three, maybe less if everything is looking good. Hey, and you know you are welcomed to go to my apartment whenever you'd like. You know where the spare key is."

I smile at this before my phone vibrates again.

(xxx) xxx-xxxx
???

"Okay, yeah." I look around. "Well, hey listen, I've got this paper I need to finish but I will call you when I get out of work, or you can call me or however. Okay?"

"Sounds good," I hear shuffling on his end. "I love you."

My heart warms at his words. "I love you," I smile as I hang up. I quickly text the number back.

BEAU
I get off at 6 today?

NES
Ok, let's meet at yours around then

I don't reply after this, I just see the message and close my phone.

H.

It annoyed me that I have to leave Beau. I would've offered for her to come with but I don't want to scare her off into thinking that maybe we are moving rather too quickly. Shit, just thinking about traveling together as a couple to places scares the shit out of me, but maybe she is much more mature than I am.

She is always able to understand me rather too well.

My plane doesn't leave until another hour or so I take this as my chance to visit the flower shop her and I sometimes drive by. I didn't know what kind of flowers she liked or if she even liked any, shit she could be allergic to plants and I wouldn't even know. Actually, no she isn't. She has that plant that her she said her mother gave her when she moved in.

The door dings as I step in, plants and flowers of every kind catch my eye. I'll just have them deliver some at her doorstep by the time she gets off and for the three days I'm away, just so that she knows that even though I am away, I am still thinking of her.

I mean it's not like I think about anything else, she is the focal point of my life and mind.

As I look around, I realize that this isn't probably the best idea. There is so many flowers, different colors and shapes. I don't want to get the wrong one and be an inconvenience to her small apartment, I also don't want to overwhelm her and show her my emotions out as much as this weird looking plant does with its tall stem and bright orange color.

"Hi, can I help you?" A man with a beard and tattoos says to me. He had a white apron around him with his name tag on display. Zayn. He looked plant wise.

"Sure," I say. "I know nothing about plants."

He gives out a small chuckle. "Well for who were you shopping for? Mother? Girlfriend? Wife?"

The last two suggestions make me clear my throat, I don't let him see my panic. "My friend." I say and he nods.

"Ah," he looks around. "Special friend or just a friend?"

I decide to ignore that look around. "How about that one?" I say, pointing to one with a large stem, it had to be about three feet tall. Definitely not.

"Maybe, is your friend looking for a garden?"

"No, I just need some simple flowers for her to know that I am thinking about her." I open up. "She has a small apartment and not enough sunlight, so..."

Zayn puts his hands at his hips and hums. "I gotta be honest with you mate," he breathes out. "You're not giving me enough to work with."

"That's because I'm a shitty friend who doesn't know anything about plants." I run a hand through my curls. "Look, how about I just pay you for three sets of delivery to her address, I trust that you choose something fit for her and her apartment?"

"Sure," he nods. "Is there a window in her apartment?"

"I think so?"

"Is it facing north, south east or west?"

I look up. "I don't know what kind of plants she likes you expect me to know which side of the world her damn window is facing?" I was growing annoyed and he seemed to be amused.

"Well because—you know what? I'll just choose something that requires little to no sun." After this, I pay for the three days, give him my information and Beau's address before I leave the flower shop. As I'm walking to my car, I pass a jewelry store, the window showcases rings.

Fucking marriage and its stupid need to drive people insane.

I walk away, rain droplets seeping and wetting my clothes as I reach my car and drive to the airport.