I Want To See You Be Brave

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave
With what you want to say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave

Ali's POV

"Hey, sweetie", I hugged Em as she finally stopped the car to the parking lot and got out of the car.

I felt awful because I wanted to kiss her so much but I just wasn't ready to do it in front of everybody. Em pulled away and looked at me a little weirdly.

"So, first we're gonna go get Pepe from Spencer's and the head over to your place?" I nodded. Em nodded towards the car."Okay, get in."

Just when I had opened the door, I heard someone call my name.

"Alison! Hey, wait!" I grinded my teeth together recognizing the voice. I turned around to look at Rebekah who was walking towards me with some boy and few girls. I closed the door sighing. I glanced at Em apologetically. She furrowed her eyebrows questioning.  Rebekah studied Em with her eyes which made me feel nervous.

"So, this is your girlfriend?" Rebekah grinned flashing her perfect white teeth.

"You think you're funny, huh?" I scoffed. I could feel Em's eyes on me. I wanted to tell the truth but I just couldn't.

"You don't have to pretend, Alison. We know you're gay", I gulped. My heart was racing.

Emily coughed."What the heck are you talking about?" everyone turned to look at her, me included."Ali's not gay. I mean, I am but now you're barking at the wrong tree."

I looked at Em thankfully. Thank you, I mouthed the words to her. She just turned to look at Rebekah and the others."Are we done? Okay. Now beat it."

There was something in her eyes. Her voice was tough and it had a weird edge on it. I could see just how much saying that had hurt her.  I felt my heart sink as I saw that.

"You know what? You don't have to lie for me, Em. I'm tired of this", I wrapped my arm around her waist."Em is the best girlfriend possible and I'm proud to be with her."

It made Rebekah's jaw drop. Em glanced at me. My heart was beating faster than probably ever. Just saying that took all my courage. But I didn't want Em to suffer because of me anymore. I was ready to come out -for her.

"Come on, beautiful. Let's go", I smiled and gave a peck on her cheek. She smiled and then walked to the other side of the car. She got in the car and I went to the passenger's seat. I waved at Rebekah as we drove off. It was quiet in the car for a moment. Too quiet.

"Em, are you mad at me?"

"No! Why would I be mad at you?" I would've believed her but she looked nervous which made me even more nervous.

"You've been quiet the whole time", I stated and looked at her but her eyes were tightly on the road."If this is about what happened back there-"

"It's not about that", she interrupted.

"Then what is is? Tell me, Em. Just like you want me to be honest with you, I want you to be honest with me."

"Today, I was so afraid you couldn't do that and it felt horrible. It felt like a step back for me, you know? I've done so much to get this far and I don't want to go back hiding in closet. I need to know if you're ready to be with me out in the open."

"Em, I'd do anything for you", I said truthfully.

"You didn't answer my question", she said with an edge in her voice.