Leave The Past Behind

Ali's POV

I didn't know how but the word had been spreading and everyone seemed to know about last week. Everyone around me was whispering or pointing at me with their fingers. I just tried to ignore them, raise my chin up and make through the day. I missed Em. It was torture to be in different school than her. We had spent Saturday together watching movies, cuddling on her bed. On Sunday, I had had to face the reality. I couldn't run from my parents forever. So, I went home. I had to get my stuff, anyway. The reuniting was... cold, so to say. The only thing they had said to me the whole day was "There are leftovers in the fridge." I mean, really?  It was like they didn't care at all if I was at home or at Emily's.

I pumped into someone. I dropped the books I had been holding."Watch it!" the boy snapped and kept walking. I crouched to pick up the books.

How the hell did I get here? I thought. A week ago I owned this place. Now everyone hates me. They think I'm a freak. And there... There was just nothing I could do about it. I noticed three girls near me giggling and pointing at me with their fingers. When they noticed I was watching they turned to look away. Or two of them did.

Okay, enough with the pity party. I straightened and raised my chin up. I walked to the girls.

"Do you have a problem?" I asked narrowing my eyes at the girl who hadn't looked away. It took me a second to remember her name. Rebekah. She was in my class. I had never really talked to her though.

She just stared at me expressionless."I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"Are you really so stupid you think I didn't see you gossiping? It was just as obvious as your boob job."

"And by that you're saying...?" Rebekah raised her other eyebrow. The two girls next to her exchanged looks.

"I'm saying, that either you keep all that little shit you're saying about me all to yourself or you say it to my face."

"Are you sure, dyke? 'Cause I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear it."

"What did you just call me?" I took a step closer to her.

"A slutty, girl-on-girl loving little dyke", she said the words slowly with a devilish glimmer in her eyes.

I gulped fearful. Did she know about me and Emily? If she did, how was that possible? I felt a giant lump in my throat.

"I've no idea what you're talking about", I clenched my fist. The girl rolled her eyes and raised her hand up demanding. The other girl behind her took her phone from her pocket and handed it to Rebekah. She handed the phone to me, showing me the screen. I looked at the screen furrowing my eyebrows. My heart jumped up to my throat. My heart was about to jump out of my chest. It was the picture A had sent me. The picture of me and Emily kissing.

"What is that?" I tried to act like I didn't know. I bit my teeth together.

"Are you sure you don't know?" Rebekah raised one of her perfectly shaped eyebrows."Because I could swear this was a picture of you kissing with a girl."

I looked at the picture again."Well, that does look like me but obviously it's just a lousy photoshop edit. Do you seriously believe that's real?" I managed to sound amused. I didn't want to lie. Not about this. But I wasn't ready to come out quite yet.

Rebekah looked unsure what to say. She didn't want to believe me. But she did. Hell, I would've believed myself if was her. In my mind I thanked God for letting me lie that well.

"You can try to convince us but how are you gonna convince them?" the other girl standing behind her spoke up indicating to the students walking past us. Many of them were looking at their phones and whispering. I glared at them. Then I saw a group of girls standing at the bulletin board. They kept glancing at me and giggling. There was few boys in the crowd too, one of them whistled. No, this is not possible, I thought knowing exactly what they are were looking at.