WAR COUNCIL

The tent set up for the War Council loomed over the battlefield, waiting, for the tides of fate to take one of its abrupt turns. The rules of the war were to be discussed here, rules which would be broken a thousand times over.

 On either side of the war room, there were comparatively smaller tents housing the various royal families and other important officers who had come to take part in the war. There were also cooks and flag bearers and servants of various ranks. Court poets were present to weave the songs that would come out of this fabled war. In short, Kurukshetra was buzzing with life for the first time in forever.

Advaita felt lost amidst all the people in the council room. She hadn't seen this much of royalty, gathered in one place for goal since the Rajsuya yajna. Those were times of peace and this was war. A war that was going to change everything, bring on a new world order.

The Kings from all over Aryavart weren't used to waiting or sitting patiently but for now, they did it anyway. Their eyes fixed on the descendants of the mighty Bharata because even though the meeting was supposed to be a discussion of rules amongst everyone, they were the only people that mattered.

The last person to enter the tent was Mahamahim Bhishm. Everyone stood up in order to show respect. He stood at the center and requested everyone to have a seat. He was a myth among warriors and at that moment it didn't matter which side , who was fighting for, that man clad in white as pure as his mother had everyone in a trance. He sat down and everyone followed suit. He drew in a deep breathe and started, " Today we have gathered here to set the ground rules for the war that has brought us all here to this blessed lands of my ancestors." The Mahamahim stopped and looked around the room, some people nodded in agreement with him. For a moment his eyes locked with Advaita's and the sadness in his eyes made her shudder.

One by one everyone started listing their ideas for the rules. Some were rejected or accepted without any debate and some were debated over for hours. The rules were pretty simple, any honourable  person weren't likely to break them but Advaita knew that war was a monstrous thing. Just like it  brought honour to the warriors, it also took away their souls. For the past thirteen years she had wanted this with her whole heart but now, seeing all those young faces, it all looked useless. 

She was brought back from her chain of thoughts by a nudge from her daughter who was seated just beside her. Her Great-Grandfather had stood up again, he was about to announce the rules that they have shortlisted.

Bhishm cleared his throat and started. " Here are the rules that we have decided on, I hope as people bound by the honour code of the Kshatriyas, we abide them." With this he began reading out, " Every day, the battle should start exactly at sunrise and end exactly at sunset which will be marked with the sounds of the conch shells of the maharathis.

The messengers, flag bearers and servants shouldn't be harmed at any instances.

The battle animals like enemies' horses and elephants should not be butchered unless they pose imminent danger. "

He paused for a moment and looked around the tent. Everyone was content with these rules. He took a deep breath and resumed.

"Unarmed or unconscious warrior should not be hurt. "

A slight movement caught Advaita's eyes. It was Karn. She hadn't noticed him before, for some reason he was trying to camouflage in the background.

"No singular warrior should be attacked by numerous warriors"

A few seats, to the front of Karn, Hredhaan and Abhimanyu looked restless. Advaita smiled to herself, the boys always tried to act mature but still they were just kids. They obviously hated long boring speeches.