Chapter 9

Updates will be more frequent since finals are over 😌•••

•••

Jennie took a look at herself in the full-length mirror. Her short black high-waisted pencil skirt was tighter than she remembered it being. She wore a pale yellow short-sleeved shirt that wasn't any looser. Her father whistled with a giggle as he entered her half of the room.

"Where you off to, pretty girl?"

"Dinner with Kai," she smiled. For some reason, though, she felt weird smiling. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but she almost felt like she had suddenly forgotten how to smile. Like her muscle memory had failed her. Her cheeks felt like they did after holding a smile for a photo for an unnecessarily long time like she wasn't quite sure if she even looked like she was smiling anymore.

"Oo, you excited?" Her Dad flicked his eyebrows up. She fooled him.

"I guess so," she shrugged. "I'm gonna show him the club afterward. I haven't been in the eighteen and up one, yet."

"Oh, have fun!" He took a good look at his daughter with an adoring smile. "You must be trying to make some impression," he laughed, shaking his head at his daughter's tight outfit. "I'm pretty sure Kai already likes you."

"Hm," Jennie shrugged him off, not because she didn't disagree with him, but because she was pretty sure Kai wasn't the one she was trying to impress.

It seemed a little dumb to her, though. She wasn't even going to see Rosé tonight, right? She had sort of invited her to the club yesterday, but that was before they kissed. And before Jennie acted like a totally awkward and mute child in the sauna today. She hadn't mentioned it to her today, so she doubted the girl would go alone. She knew Rosé liked her too, so why was she dressing like this? The more she thought about everything, the more she worried Rosé would change her mind. The only thing keeping Jennie from having a minor freakout was the note Rosé had left her. Just thinking about it made Jennie's stomach tingle.

The kiss confused her. A lot. She wasn't sure if it had affected Rosé the same way it had the cat-eyed brunette. In some degree, the way Rosé was chasing after her seemed more like a game sometimes. She didn't actually believe that, or want to believe it, but the thought was still planted somewhere deep in her mind. Why would the girl be trying so hard to go after someone like Jennie, especially when Jennie was pretty sure Rosé could get whoever she wanted.

Now she stood there, about to go out on a quasi-date with Kai. She couldn't put a name to any of her emotions and it was stressing her the hell out. Kai still made her laugh, he still calmed her nerves. But so did all of her friends. Did he make her stomach flip anymore? She wasn't really sure, but as soon as she thought about stomach flipping, she thought about the blonde. Jennie let out a frustrated sigh, not quite sure what anything meant anymore. She liked Kai, didn't she? Maybe not as much as she used to, but he was still the same guy as before, and Jennie was the same girl. Nothing had really changed, had it?