Chapter 17

"I want you to be my girlfriend

"I want you to be my girlfriend."

Jennie's eyes widened as she realized those words weren't just inside of her head anymore. They were lingering in the air for Rosé to soak up.

Rosé's heart stopped with Jennie's confession. Girlfriend. The word made her stomach pulse, her hands shake, and her head spin. It wasn't a question, was it? Jennie wasn't actually asking her to be her girlfriend, was she? Rosé felt paralyzed.

When the silence felt much too long, Jennie tried to speak up again. "I-I," she stuttered before taking a deep breath. Rosé lifted her head off of Jennie's chest and sat up slightly, adjusting her body so she was facing the girl. She could see how unsure Jennie felt.

"What?" Rosé whispered softly, her voice still gentle and kind. Jennie considered for a split second retracting her words, trying to cover it up, or changing the subject altogether. As she opened her mouth, though, she realized that wasn't what she wanted.

"I want you to be my girlfriend," she said again, her now more confident voice still soft. Rosé's stomach dropped the same way it had when the tube had fallen over the first drop. Her heart was beating frantically and her body was burning. She tried to open her mouth to say something, anything, but she was completely dry. Jennie could see Rosé truggling for words and was about to speak up again when Rosé finally spoke.

"What are we doing?" She sighed as she brought her hand up to cover her eyes. She felt like she was about to cry. This wasn't what she wanted to say. Yes she was repeating over and over again in her head. Yes. Yes. Yes. Her instincts took over, though, and she blurted it out before she could realize what she wanted.

"What do you mean?" Jennie asked back, doing her best to stay calm.

"I mean, what are we doing?" Rosé repeated again as she removed her palm from her face. She looked up at Jennie and she watched her eyes fall down to Rosé's quivering lip. Jennie was about to answer when Rosé cut her off. "I like you, Jen. A lot," she breathed, realizing that was the understatement of the century. "Tonight was unreal," she shook her head. "I mean, literally, this place is like something out of a fucking fairytale," she scoffed. "But what happens after this?" Her voice noticeably weakened. "After this is all over? I fall harder for you," she whispered, her voice already straining quite audibly. "Then you go back to Incheon and I go back to Seoul alone." Jennie watched Rosé's eyes fall to her lap. She could see the pain all over her face and it made her stomach flinch. Jenniereached out and slipped her fingers around Rosé's. She felt the girl tense up under her for a split second before her muscles relaxed.

"Rosie," Jennie breathed with a smile, waiting for the dark brown eyes to meet hers. Rosé finally looked up, the brunette's smile making her heart skip another beat. "Come here," she said, grabbing Rosé's legs and laying them across her lap. That turned Rosé's body sideways so she was looking right at her. She pulled the girl's legs closer so Rosé's face wasn't far from hers. She couldn't keep the palm of her hand from smoothing up and down Rosé's thigh, since it was right under her arms. Jennie's hand was leaving a fire trail on Rosé's skin and her stomach was fluttering from their contact.