• IV •

"So, you ready to get that handcuff off?"

Fuck, YES. Finally.

The past couple of days had been pure drudgery, consisting of nothing but eating, watching TV, bandage changes, an occasional examination from Remedy.

I'd learned that the large male orderly's name was Darren, and although I knew I'd never fully trust him, I no longer shied away from his presence. He was in my room multiple times a day, bringing me food, removing my handcuff for brief walks to the bathroom to either shower or relieve myself, where he always waited right outside the unlocked door until I was finished.

The consistency of the food had definitely improved, the quality still impressing me. Omelettes or eggs benedict for breakfast, roast beef or seared salmon at dinner. Honestly I'd never eaten this well in my life. I was starting to think I could get used to it.

Despite my best efforts Remedy had stayed tight-lipped regarding any additional information about where I was, or what this "Ghost" organization consisted of. I'd even tried questioning Darren, who was even less helpful.

Darren approached the bed, uncuffing me for what I hoped to be the last time. "Now, we're still gonna have to keep your door locked, we can't have you just wandering around."

"Yeah, sure," I replied, rubbing my wrist where the cuff had been.

"Remedy will be in soon to get that IV out of your hand, then I'll be back to collect you. Boss wants to try to talk to you today, if you're up for it." He then handed me a folded pile of clothes, again all white, and I noticed there was a pair of white tennis shoes on top.

He walked out of the room, and I heard a distinct click as he locked the door behind him.

A bout of nerves settled in my stomach at the prospect of meeting the individual who'd been responsible for effectively saving my life. What if they weren't a good person? What if they only saved me in order to use me to further their own agenda? I'd been used my whole life, so I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

Even with the handcuffs my treatment here had already been leagues better than it ever was at Shadow. So what if they needed my help? Maybe I could make a difference. Also, I really don't have anywhere else to go. I know Shadow isn't going to give up searching for me. Here I at least seemed protected.

Or they'll just boot you out on your ass once you're not useful anymore. That, or make you into their personal fucktoy like Shadow had.

The lock clicked once again as Remedy entered. "Here, let me get that needle out of your arm. I'm pretty sure your infection has cleared, but if it flares back up we can always give you oral antibiotics."

I watched her as she slid the needle out, dabbing off the blood and putting on a bandage. This type of stuff didn't bother me in the least, it was hard to be squeamish after what I'd seen and done in my life.

"I see Darren brought you some clean clothes. Go ahead and get changed, and I'll get him to take you upstairs." She hesitated, then added, "The boss man can be a little...intimidating, but don't let him scare you, he's actually one of the most genuine people I've ever met."

She said boss MAN. Of course it's a man. Figures.

"Just don't lie to him, he'll know. He's extremely intelligent. I guess that's why he runs the place," she said with a grin.

I felt that nervous flutter in my stomach again. In my experience the more powerful a man was, or thought he was, the less respect he had given me.