Chapter 8

Astrid's POV

Where could a seventeen year old put a stake? There can't be that many hidden places in this cabin. 

While Kol is still in the bedroom with Davina, Jeremy and I search around the cottage for the white oak stake. As my brother begins scourging through the living room, I spot a hidden door near Davina's bedroom. 

Slowly creeping closer, I open the unlocked entrance and walk inside. A few candles light up the messy room, which holds dozens of grimoires and dark objects. If the stake's going to be anywhere in this cabin, I feel like this is the place. 

Making sure that no one was in here, I begin searching through drawers and chests. As I pull open another drawer, I spot the white oak stake lying in it, causing me to smirk. Bingo.

Just as I grab the item, my arm is twisted behind my back. Crying out in pain, I glance over at the perpetrator and see my father-in-law standing next to me. Oh great. Could this day get any worse?

"Now what do we have here?" he taunts, before a look of realization passes over his face. "You're that girl from the restaurant. Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you right now!"

I stand corrected. It got worse. I probably should've expected him to show up at some point. I knew that Davina is controlling him.

"The bracelet." I grit out, getting Mikael's attention. "The one she uses to control you. I know the magic to turn it off. You'll be free to do whatever you want, provided you promise not to harm me or my brother."

He appears to think over my comment for a few seconds, before roughly releasing my arm from his grasp. Rubbing my sore limb in pain, I smirk up at my father-in-law. 

"I take it we have a deal?" I wonder, as a sinister smile creeps onto Mikael's face. Oh boy. I think I've made a mistake. 

~~~

After Kol leaves to pick up supplies from Valerie, I go into Davina's room to check on her. Well I have to de-spell her bracelet too, but I do care about the young witch. I have since I met her a year ago. She's like the little sister I wish I had in Elena and Tatia. 

Pulling up a chair, I sit down in it and begin to remove the spell on Davina's bracelet. I really wish I didn't have to do this, but my psychotic father-in-law would kill me and Jeremy if I didn't. Right as I start using my magic, the young witch stirs and wakes up. Grabbing her phone to secure myself an alibi, I smile down at Davina and hand her the device.

"Your phone is chock full of texts." I state, as she unlocks the item to check. "Who's Cami?"

All of a sudden, a worried look crosses her face, causing her to almost jump out of bed. Grabbing my hand, she drags me into the living room. With my brother's help, the two of them start a spell to weaken my brother-in-law. That's probably not going to work. 

Without any warning, a wooden staff is thrown through the window, shattering all of the glass. As the three of us duck, Davina accidently hits her head on the edge of a trunk, knocking her out. I hear Niklaus begin screaming outside for the young witch to send out Mikael. 

While I'm checking on Davina, I hear someone speed up behind us, followed by a sharp gasp. Turning around I see that Mikael has put my brother in a choke-hold against a nearby wall. My father-in-law faces me with a merciless look in his eyes.

"Release me! Or I will kill both of you right now!" he threatens, causing me to glare at him. If he does any more damage to my brother, I will roast him alive. 

After I don't respond for a few seconds, Mikael pushes down harder on Jeremy's throat, causing my brother to let out another moan of pain. Holding my hands up in a surrender motion, I lean down to Davina and grab her bracelet. 

"En conclues secreté un diande un tri en les dose mofede!" I begin to chant repeatedly, as the wind begins to slightly pick up in the room. One side effect of me using my magic often. My elemental powers get out of control. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Mikael loosen his grip on my brother, causing Jeremy to fall to the ground and rub his throat. As long as my brother's fine, I'll be calm. My psychotic father-in-law tightens his grip on the white oak stake and exits the cabin to fight off my brother-in-law. Great family reunion. 

Jeremy and I return to checking on Davina, before a familiar blonde woman runs into the cabin. What in the world is she doing here? My brother seems just as shocked but carries on tending to his crush. 

Eventually, my hybrid brother-in-law appears in the doorway, gripping the white oak stake between his bloody hands. Well at least Mikael's been dealt with. 

"We should get her to a hospital." my best friend states, helping my brother carry and place the young witch on a nearby couch. Jeremy keeps a close eye on Davina, while I stand up to face Niklaus. Time for some fun.

"Oh, hello darling." I greet my brother-in-law with a smirk plastered on my face. "Back to huff and puff and blow the house down?" Niklaus narrows his eyes, obviously unamused by my taunt. 

"You know, it's funny how often a person's sharp tongue can end up cutting their own throat." he threatens, causing Caroline to step in between the two of us. 

"Klaus, she's just a kid. Give her a break." she pleads, while I smirk up at my brother-in-law. Crossing my arms against my chest, I smirk at my best friend unknowingly taking my side.

"Yeah, she's right." I continue, seeing Niklaus' eye twitch. "You know, you may want to try a bit of lavender under your pillow. Does wonders for stuck-up pillocks with anger issues."

Caroline lets out a frustrated sigh, as my brother-in-law narrow his eyes. She reprimands me, before pulling Niklaus out onto the porch for them to talk. I return to my brother and his crush to check on Davina. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Caroline and Niklaus share a quick kiss, causing me to smile. For once, something good happened for my brother-in-law. As much as I tease him, I am happy for Nik. He deserves it. My best friend takes the white oak stake and a set of car keys and leaves the porch. My brother-in-law turns back to me, before I stand back up to face him. 

"You've got a way with words." he states, narrowing his eyes at me once more. Nodding, I lean up against the couch. 

"Well, I've traveled." I explain, shrugging my shoulders nonchalantly. A look of realization passes over Niklaus' face, causing me to smirk.

"You seem to have crossed continents in order to weasel your way into Davina's good graces, thereby meddling in my family business. Strange, isn't it?" my brother-in-law wonders, sending me a menacing smile. "Unless it's your family business. You know, ever since my mother and Finn, I was wondering when you might make an appearance, Astrid."

Laughing, I bow overdramatically. If I'm going to give up my identity, I want to have some fun with it. 

"Then the gig is up!" I exclaim, smirking up at the hybrid. "Hello, Niklaus!"

 "Hello, Niklaus!"