Chapter 40

Kol's POV

~A Few Weeks Later~

"So, what's the plan for Lucien?" I question, gritting out the Upgraded Original's name.

"If it were up to Niklaus, a slow miserable death. Cami's the only person he's been close to since he compelled Caroline back to Mystic Falls." Elijah remarks, placing his phone back into his pocket. 

Ever since Niklaus' former lapdog came to town, all he's done is wreak havoc on this family. He kidnapped Freya and used her blood to turn into an Upgraded Original. Then, to get back at our family, he killed Finn and sentenced Cami to death via his bite.

"Freya is perfecting a ritual to trap Lucien as we speak." he clarifies, as I drink the remainder of my whiskey. "She should be done within the next few hours."

 A comfortable silence falls over us, while I glance down from the balcony. My gaze focuses itself on the passersby, as my mind drifts off into space. 

"Any word on Astrid?" my older brother asks, as I sigh and shake my head. After she snapped my neck a few weeks ago, no one's seen her since. When we finally found the car, it had been completely abandoned.

"Jeremy and Davina have been unable to find her." I admit, shifting my attention up from the streets. "Freya even tried to no avail. Wherever Astrid is, she doesn't want to be found."

As I move to leave the compound, our older sister bursts through the doors of the lounge. With a wide-eyed gaze in her eyes, Freya rushes over to me.

"Kol, I may have a lead in finding Astrid." she explains, trying to catch her breath. "We know she can't leave the city, so she has to be somewhere in New Orleans. Scrying obviously hasn't worked, so I started thinking. What if she's in a place where magic doesn't work?"

As she finishes speaking, my eyes widen in realization. There's only one place in New Orleans where magic and magical items do not work. Old Algiers. 

Without speaking another word, I stalk out of the room, hoping to make a quick getaway. Retrieving my phone from my pocket, I quickly dial a familiar number. After a few moments of no answer, I hear a ding sound from the voicemail.

"Davina? It's Kol. I think I found her." I state, walking toward the exit of the compound. "Meet me at Old Algiers in twenty. And bring the duffel bag."