Chapter 17

Astrid's POV

"I'd be happy to help!" I exclaim, pouring myself another glass of bourbon. In the past few hours I've been in this room, I have almost drank an entire bottle of Jack Daniels. 

"What's the catch?" Marcel questions, crossing his arms against his chest. "From what Klaus has told me, you always want something in exchange for your help."

Letting out a sigh, I place my drink down onto the table and turn around to face the vampire. Placing my hands against the wooden frame, I lean back against the furniture. 

"If you want me to find a new body for Rebekah, I want the Folean diamond you stole from my husband back in 1914." I state, holding my hand up before he can say anything. "And before you ask, Kol told me all about it."

Marcel loudly chuckles, slowly inching closer to me. What the fuck is his problem? I'm being completely serious. 

"And what do you plan to do with it?" he inquires, as I pick up the glass of Jack Daniels from behind me. 

"Does it matter?" I ask, taking a large sip from the container. Removing the glass from my lips, I notice that there's only half of the alcohol left in it. 

"Well, it would matter to Klaus." Marcel points out, causing me to roll my eyes. Yay. Another lapdog I have to deal with. 

"You see, I could fib here, but I want to be on the up about it." I admit, refilling my glass and pouring one for the vampire. "Kol and I need a weapon we can use to protect ourselves against Niklaus, and the diamond helps us make it."

Turning back around, I offer the whiskey to Marcel, who quickly declines it. More for me then. I drink all of his bourbon in one gulp, placing the empty glass back onto the table.

"The dagger isn't to kill him. It's simply a matter of self-defense. Only to be used out of absolute necessity." I explain to the vampire, swirling my Jack Daniels around. "It's a fair trade, Marcel. We get free of my whackadoodle monster-in-law, I acquire the means by which to defend myself and my husband against his volatile brother, should the need arise. And, uh, if all goes well, perhaps you'll let my brother near Davina without bodily harm." 

The vampire nods in understanding, almost agreeing with my offer. Gulping down the rest of my drink, I set my glass down next to his and pull out my phone. 

"So, should I call him back, or should you?" I question, holding the device out to him. Instead of taking mine, Marcel grabs his and dials my brother-in-law's number. A pleased smirk crosses my face, as the vampire exits the room to talk to Niklaus.

~~~

"Done! As per your request!" I exclaim, strutting back into the courtyard to join Marcel, my brother, and the Claire witches. "Miss Angelica Barker. Good cheekbones and a tummy you can bounce a quarter off! She will be Rebekah's new host body instead of Cami."

If only that was true. Before Kol and I got abducted, he told me about how Rebekah was the one who eventually got him daggered in 1914. Now as much as I love and care for my sister-in-law, I think she deserves a little punishment for that.  

"Who's Angelica Barker?" Davina questions, narrowing her eyes in confusion. 

"One of my vampire potentials." Marcel explains, glancing over at my brother's crush. "Had to turn her down. She was too lost."

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot Cami nervously rubbing up and down her arm. Poor girl. She doesn't deserve to be tied up in Mikaelson drama. She needs to get out while she still can.

"Does she know what's about to happen to her?" the blonde human worriedly asks, as Valerie squeezes her shoulder in comfort. Shaking his head, my brother sends her a sad smile.

"It's better when they don't know." he states, causing Marcel to send him a glare. I think I'm starting to see why him and Niklaus get along. They both have serious mood swings and anger issues. 

"Hopefully, we won't have to use her." the vampire comments, letting out a heavy sigh. Time for another awkward conversation. 

"Hopefully." I restate, earning a confused look from Marcel. "But then, my mother-in-law is a wily and vindictive woman. Which is why I've got to ask something else of you."

"You're already getting the diamond." the vampire tells me, before I hear Jeremy snort in the background.

"Which I'm thrilled about!" I mutter, butting in to explain. "But, in order for me to help you, I need access to my mother-in-law's hourglass...which is in the lycée. With the bitch."

"So?" Marcel questions, trying to figure out my point. An amused smirk appears on my brother's face, causing me to glare up at him. 

"Well, I haven't been back in a while, and the only way she won't suspect me is if I bring back the thing that I was sent to find." I explain, hoping that Marcel would catch on. 

"And that thing is..." the vampire trails off, as my brother and I simultaneously facepalm. How oblivious can this man be?

"The white oak stake." I comment, earning cries of protest from everyone in the courtyard. After a few moments of getting my head chewed off, I butt in.

"Look, it's the only way she's gonna trust me!" I detail, trying to get the four to understand. "She doesn't want to kill them. She just wants to make sure that the weapon doesn't fall into the wrong hands. I swear, as soon as she's gone, I'll give it right back to Niklaus."

"Like hell you will. Deal's off!" Marcel exclaims, throwing his hands into the air overdramatically. Before he can do anything, however, a familiar voice sounds from behind him.

"Astrid! Whatever grudges you hold against me, we're doing this for the good of our family. Do I have your word that, for once, you will honor that?" my brother-in-law questions, as I lock eyes with him and nod. 

"You have my word, Nik." I state, smiling up at the hybrid. "Swear on the face of us all."

A similar grin appears on his face, before he nods and leaves to go grab the white oak stake. Well...that was easier than I thought it was going to be.

that was easier than I thought it was going to be