Chapter 22

Astrid's POV

What the fuck has happened to Angry Birds? This shit used to be fun, but now it's overly stupid. I mean, who wants to play a Star Wars version of the game? I definitely don't.

Right as I start another level of the game, the sound of church bells snaps me out of my Angry Birds zone. Checking the time on my phone, I notice that the barrier is about to be lowered. Oh shit. 

Running out of the study, I hide in the shadows and watch all of the hungry vampires below me. Marcel steps forward to test out the barrier and manages to cross it without pain. Turning back to the vampires, he gestures for them to follow him. 

Once they've all gone, I pull out my phone and send a quick text to Kol, letting him know about the barrier. Running back to my room, I pack up my grimoire, knowing I won't be able to come retrieve it later. I give enough time for all the vampires to get away from the compound, before exiting this hellhole to find my husband. 

Rushing out onto the street, I brush past hordes of people, peering over them to look around. Eventually, I spot Kol standing on the other side of the crowd. Locking eyes with him, I run over across the road. 

Once I reach my husband, I connect our lips, running my fingers through his hair. He immediately responds, placing his hands on my face. After a few seconds, we break apart, and Kol rubs his thumbs against my cheeks.

"Let's get out of here, before my brother decides to come back." he suggests, grabbing my hand and interlocking our fingers together. I let out a light chuckle, letting myself be pulled away from the street.

~~~

Who the hell is playing a saxophone right now? I'm trying to get sleep. Especially because I haven't for over twenty-four hours. Letting out a groan, I sit up from my spot to see Kol messing with a nearby Bunsen burner. Hearing me, he turns around and smiles down at me.

"How long was I out?" I ask, rubbing my eyes and the bridge of my nose. Stretching out my limbs, I stand up and walk over to my husband. 

"All night. It was a rather fitful sleep, though. You were muttering about how you wanted to kill Klaus with an Angry Birds catapult." he explains, giving my lips a quick peck. "In fact, I'm glad that you're up because we are ready to get started."

Standing up, Kol walks over to a small chest and pulls out one of Niklaus' silver daggers from inside of it. 

"Are you sure you're ready to do this?" I question him, as he sits down next to me. Shaking his head slightly, my husband sits down again and begins to examine the item. 

"Have a little faith, darling. I have been planning this for over a century." he reassures, softly smiling down at me. "You're not having second thoughts, are you? From what I remember, we have both wanted to get rid of the bastard for years."

"I'm way past second thoughts." I mutter, shaking my head back and forth. A malicious grin appears on my husband's face, before he leans down and kisses my forehead. 

"That's my girl." he states, moving back over towards the Bunsen burner. All of a sudden, my phone lights up over by the couch, playing the familiar ringtone of Yellow by Coldplay. Jeremy must be calling me. "Oh you might want to turn that off. It's been buzzing all this morning."

I walk over to retrieve the ringing device, only for the song to stop playing. Oops. Unlocking my phone, I spot numerous texts and missed phone calls from my brother and Davina. What the hell happened while I was asleep? opening one of the messages, my eyes widen in shock. I turn back to Kol, who's raising his eyebrows at my sudden quietness.

"Apparently, the vampires never made it home last night." I detail, handing my phone over to my husband. Well...I guess the dagger will have to wait.

~~~

"So much for having a secret lair." Kol mumbles, frowning at the three outsiders. Rolling my eyes, I turn back to the trio with a smile.

"Don't mind him."  I state, lightly smacking my husband on the arm. "Did you bring the stuff I asked for?"

Aiden nods, placing a duffel bag onto the table and sliding it towards me. Unzipping the sack, I pull out a hairbrush and toothbrush belonging to his boyfriend and Davina's friend Josh. 

"That's everything Josh left at my place." the werewolf describes, earning a snort from Kol. 

"Ah, practically moved in, has he?" he mockingly questions, before I slap him across his arm. My husband yelps in shock, as I innocently smile back at the trio.

Moving over to a nearby map I have of New Orleans, I place the items onto it, along with some sand, and hold out my hands to Jeremy. The faster we do this, the faster Kol and I can get back to creating that dagger.

Once my brother takes my hands, we both close our eyes and begin mumbling the spell repeatedly. Eventually, the sand on the map shifts around, forming into a single pile on one area. The five of us scour around the item, finding the location of the missing vampires. 

"Right here, the street corner!" Davina points out, as I sigh in realization. I know exactly where Finn's keeping them.

"That's the little bodega the witch Lenore used to run before Esther hijacked her body." I detail, crossing my arms against my chest.

"Great. Thank you for the help." Aiden pops up, packing all of Josh's items back into the duffel bag. 

Before he can leave the tomb, Jeremy and Davina block his way out. While those three argue it out, I pull Kol over to the other end of the room. 

"We need to help them." I mutter as quietly as possible. Before my husband can protest, I hold up my hand. "We know how bad Finn can be. If they go in there to free the vampires, they'll be going into a bloodbath."

Instead of arguing, Kol nods along, but I can still tell that he's hesitant to the idea. We watch the three continue screaming at each other, while my husband wraps his arm around my waist. This should be fun.

 This should be fun