Chapter 23

Astrid's POV

Jeremy and Davina owe me big time. While the four (my brother, his girlfriend, my husband, and Aiden) free Josh from the hellhole, I'm stuck distracting my eldest brother-in-law. 

Sneaking into Lenore's shop, I overhear Finn torturing someone. Typically, I would find that fun but not with that bastard. I've been one of his victims before, and it was definitely not enjoyable. 

Closing the door behind me, I walk up right behind my brother-in-law, who apparently just finished his latest torturing session. How is he not hearing me?

"I'm convinced. You know nothing." Finn mutters, while Marcel weakly jerks out of his grip. "...which means that whatever Klaus is keeping secret is so secret, he won't even share it with you. Perhaps there are other ways you can be of use to me."

Rolling my eyes, I clear my throat, earning a shocked look from my brother-in-law. Surprise, bitch!

"What are you doing here, Astrid?" he questions, narrowing his eyes at me. Grabbing a knife from a nearby table, I examine it closely, not willing to lock eyes with the bastard.

"I heard a rumor that you'd taken Marcel prisoner." I nonchalantly state, stalking over to the pair. "...and it just so happens that I owe him."

Before either men can react, I stab the dagger into the vampire's right hand. He screams out in pain, thrashing around in pain. Rolling his eyes, Finn uses his magic to snap Marcel's neck, enveloping us in an awkward silence.

"You have some nerve coming here." he grits out, waving his arms around. "All good grace with me was lost the moment you signed up with my wretched siblings."

"You know me, Finn. I take sides with whoever I think is gonna win." I mutter, shrugging my shoulders. "And, to be honest, well, you and mother dearest were acting a bit daft, weren't you? But I heard about how you turned your dear, old dad into your own personal black magic battery pack, and I thought, 'wow, that's cold, but it's smart.' Now I can see which way the wind is blowing, and after the way they treated us, I'll be happy to see them get what's coming."

My brother-in-law takes a moment to think through my fake offer, turning away from me slightly. While I wait for an answer, he raises his hand and casts an infliction spell on me, causing me to fall onto my knees in pain. Oh come on!

"What the hell was that for?" I question, wiping away any fallen blood from my nose. Finn lets out a low chuckle, before smirking down at me.

"For being a duplicitous weasel." he calmly explains, folding his hands together. Standing up from the ground, I let out a heavy sigh.

"I have proved myself, Finn, more than you have." I grit out, trying to bite my tongue. "I'm the one that put Rebekah in another body, and whilst Niklaus is out there looking for his dear, little sister, I was forging a dagger that will put him to sleep for centuries."

"I don't want to put him to sleep." my brother-in-law exasperatedly mutters, rolling his eyes. "I want him dead."

"Yes, but you're gonna need allies, and I've got them." I blurt out, hoping that this lie is actually working. "Davina Claire and my brother. She's a harvest girl. I've got both of them wrapped around my little finger. With them on our side, there is nothing, nothing that will stand in our way."

"Klaus knows you trapped Rebekah, and yet he hasn't tracked you down to torture her location out of you?" Finn wonders, narrowing his eyes and pacing around me.

"Well, I'm smart enough not to be found." I explain, shrugging my shoulders. My brother-in-law lets out a low chuckle, completely turning to face me.

"And Elijah also knows Rebekah is missing, and yet he remains unaccounted for." he describes, as I anxiously gulp. "Despite my power, I've been unable to locate him, which suggests he's gone to great lengths to hide himself, and Elijah hides from no one...unless he's keeping something hidden."

"Wow, Finn." I state, letting out a nervous chuckle. "You sound like Sherlock Holmes after one too many tequilas."

"And you act a fool to dare think that I wouldn't know about your little friends in the back." he comments, smirking down at me. My eyes widen in fear, as I brush past him to find the group. 

Before I can go anywhere, however, my brother-in-law casts another infliction spell, causing me to fall to my knees in pain. Finn stalks over, menacingly staring down at me. 

"Allow me to send a message to your husband and brother." he mutters, flicking his wrist to cast a spell. 

While he's distracted, I rise to my feet and use my magic to send him flying. I run to the back to escape but am cornered by a crowd of hungry vampires. When I try to go back the way I came, I spot Finn standing there. Shit. Once again, he flicks his wrist, snapping the necks of all the bloodsuckers. 

"Seems your brother and his girlfriend have absconded with one of my prisoners." my brother-in-law comments, as I stare in shock. Placing my hands into the air, I do a mock surrender.

"I didn't come here for a fight." I try explaining. "They asked me to be a distraction. My brother can be quite pushy when he wants to be, you know?"

Finn ignores me, proceeding to push our foreheads together. I attempt to push him off, but he grabs onto my shirt. 

"Don't you see?" he questions overdramatically, grabbing onto my shoulder. "We were given a gift. Rebirth unfettered by vampirism. We were made clean, and all that was asked was a pittance in return. You could not even give that. So now, I'm gonna give you the one thing I know you fear most...death."

I fight against my brother-in-law, as he begins to chant a spell under his breath. I just got my family back. I refuse to lose them again. 

"I curse you to this body, unable to jump to another. Over the next few days, I want you to contemplate what's to come...a meaningless, lonely death and the darkness to follow." he describes, releasing me from his grip. "Clock starts now. Be sure to say your goodbyes. Go, Astrid. I will not miss you."

Gasping for breath, I flee from the store and run out onto the street. Shit. What the hell am I going to do now?

 What the hell am I going to do now?