Chapter 13

Astrid's POV

"You owe me a new pair of shoes." I tell Kol, drudging through the muddy ground. He chuckles from his spot next to a large mausoleum, placing his phone into his pocket. After I left the greenhouse, I got a text from my husband telling me to meet him at the cemetery.

"So what did my mother want from you?" he questions, standing up to face me. Shrugging my shoulders, I cross my arms against my chest.

"She wants me to steal the stake away from Davina. Give it to her, so that she can't kill Niklaus before your mother gets her big, happy family." I explain, pulling the athame out of my pocket and handing it to him. "What's the dagger for anyways?"

"About a hundred years ago, this tomb used to be my playhouse." Kol details, gesturing toward the mausoleum. "The witches I used to run with, we used to make all kinds of magic in here. That is, until I pissed the two most powerful ones off, as I tend to do, and they locked me out."

Can't say that I'm surprised. No matter what situation we're in, my husband always manages to piss someone off. He clears his throat and continues.

"Mary-Alice Claire and Agatha Westphall. The only way to get back into this place is by combining the blood of their descendants and pouring it over the entrance. And since Davina and your brother are in hiding..." he trails off, holding out the athame in front of me.

After I take the dagger, Kol pulls out a small vial containing blood, most likely Valerie's. She's the only other Claire witch walking around. He holds the container below my hand for me to fill. Rolling my eyes, I slice into my palm and squeeze the red droplets out.

Once the vial is full, my husband pulls it away. While I wrap my hand within the cloth the dagger was in, Kol pours the blood onto the mausoleum's entrance. All of a sudden, the stones shifted apart, opening up a hidden room. What the fuck?

My husband chuckles at the sight of my shocked face and calmly enters into the tomb. I follow behind cautiously, while he lights a few candles. As I fully step inside, I spot tables covered in grimoires and artifacts, and bookshelves lining the walls. 

Kol goes over to one of the tables, so I walk over to join him. Biting into his wrist, he pours some of his blood into a glass and slides it over to me. While I drink it, I glance around the room and take everything in. 

"Where did you get all of these dark objects?" I question, setting the now empty glass down. A look of complete shock crosses over my husband's face, causing me to lightly chuckle.

"I lived with a witch for a few years, Kol. I can almost sense them at this point." I explain, unwrapping my now healed hand. Glancing down at it, I clench my fist, making sure the blood fully fixed my hand. 

"I can't practice witchcraft, so I charmed some witches and taught them how to make the dark objects." he details, as I nod along. "And, for a time, they were scattered all around this city. I can't for the life of me find where they are now, but I've got the one that matters."

My husband grabs a wooden chest from behind him, bringing it closer to me. Opening it up, he pulls out one of the white oak daggers. We both share a smirk, as Kol hands the dagger over to me. Let's get started!

~~~

Why did I let Kol talk me into doing this? We have been digging through all of the grimoires for the past few hours, trying to find the right spell for our plan. 

After flipping through another useless spellbook, I slam it shut and groan in annoyance. I'm getting sick of this. My husband sets down the grimoire he's reading through and comes over to check on me. 

"Love, if you need to take a break, we can pick this up tomorrow." he suggests, rubbing my shoulders to relax me. Letting out a sigh, I grab one of his hands with mine and turn around to face him.

"Nope, we're doing this now. Anything could happen tomorrow, and we would never finish the dagger." I state tiredly, trying to get my point across to him. A smile plasters itself across Kol's face, causing him to break apart from me and walk over to a shelf.

"It's impossible to replicate the spell cast on the daggers. Trust me, I've tried." he details, opening another box and grabbing the item contained inside. "But it's not impossible to change the dagger itself. Kemiya allows witches to destroy one element to create another. Say, changing silver to gold, for example."

Kol slowly stalks back over to me with his hands behind his back. Narrowing my eyes, I cross my arms against my chest and curl my lips into a smirk. 

"Kemiya's about...it's about chemistry. It's about connection." he starts off, closing the distance between us. "And, since we've been married for a thousand years, I'd say we have that covered."

My husband opens up his fist and reveals a diamond inside of it. Where in the fuck did he get this? Before I can say anything, Kol lets out a light chuckle and continues.

"It's a paragon diamond. You use them to conduct power." he explains, holding the hand with the diamond out to me. 

In his other hand, I notice a short rope, hanging down close to his elbow. Well I guess we're testing this now. After I hesitate for a few more seconds, Kol sighs and smirks down at me.

"I mean, we could make out instead, but then, that'd be entirely distracting." he suggests, causing me to roll my eyes. Stepping closer to my husband, I clutch his hand and the other end of the rope tightly.

"Alright, follow my lead. Close your eyes." Kol instructs calmly. I follow his advice, temporarily blinding myself. "Elochia jael halydeen. Elochia jael halydeen."

I begin to chant those words repeatedly, feeling the wind pick up around us. After a few seconds, I feel the rope catch on fire, causing both of us to drop the item. Quickly opening my eyes, I glance down and see that the rope has become a strand of gold. Holy shit! It actually worked!

Kol kneels down to pick up the item, smiling at the result of our spell. Leaning back up to me, he fastens the gold onto my wrist, almost as a present.

"See? I knew you could do it. You are amazi-" he begins to say, before I lean up and connect our lips together. This is the first major success I've had with magic in the past few months. Now it's time to enjoy it.