Chapter 18

Astrid's POV

"My brother wooed her, I befriended her. We won her. It took a while, but in the end, she handed it to us." I explain, as my mother-in-law examines the white oak stake. 

"When I didn't hear from you, I thought you might be in trouble." she mutters, solely focusing on the weapon in her hands. Glancing around the room, I spot the reason I came back.

"Nope. No trouble. My brother just needed a little help convincing the Claire witch to hand it over." I state, going over to examine my mother-in-law's hourglass. "So, where's Finn? Is he off playing emperor to his merry pack of dogs?"

"I'm afraid Finn may have fallen into the hands of your brother-in-laws. But, I've made a plan to assist him with that dilemma while I continue my search for Rebekah." Esther details, placing the white oak stake down on the table in front of me. 

A familiar figure appears behind my mother-in-law, causing a smirk to appear on my face. Right on schedule.

"Oh, speak of the devil, and the devil will come. Hello, Bekah." I greet my sister-in-law, playfully waving to her.

"Astrid, it really is you. I would know that sarcasm anywhere." she comments, smiling at me. At the sound of her voice, Esther turns around to face her daughter. Rebekah steps closer to us, crossing her arms against her chest. 

"Hello, Mother. I believe you're offering a deal?"

~~~

"You can't possibly expect me to discuss giving up eternal life over tea." my sister-in-law comments, pointing over to a bottle of red wine. "Give me some of that red over there."

Letting out a scoff, I send an amused smile over to Rebekah. While her mother walks off to get the alcohol, I examine the hourglass once again. As soon as my sister-in-law gives me the signal, I'm ready to start the spell.

"Well, where's the sales pitch?" Rebekah questions, before taking her glass from the witch bitch. 

"I only offer what you already want." the bitch states, swirling her wine around. I let out a quiet scoff, rolling my eyes. Well this sounds familiar. 

"And how do you presume to know that?" my sister-in-law asks, before taking a sip from her glass. 

"Elijah's happiest when there's order and music. Klaus, when he's the center of attention and in control. Kol, when he's with Astrid. But, you are my only child capable of unfettered joy." Esther explains, as Bekah nods along. "And, you're happiest amongst humans. I've seen you yearn for that life. For love."

"And when am I happiest, then, mother?" I grit out, spitting out the title. Rolling her eyes, the bitch sets down her drink and walks over to me. Rebekah takes the opportunity to pour her blood into Esther's glass, causing a smirk appears on my face.

"When you're doing as you're told." my mother-in-law responds, grabbing the tea set and placing it in front of me. Rolling my eyes, I turn around to put the item back on the shelf, as Esther returns to her daughter. "Our wishes are aligned in this, my daughter. Mine: to free you from this curse, and yours: to be human."

"I'd be giving up everything I've ever known for a memory of something I once was." my sister-in-law points out, swirling her wine around in her glass. "Power for weakness. Strength for frailty. Eternal life for a brief human existence."

With her free hand, the witch bitch grabs onto Rebekah's arm, giving it an affectionate squeeze. I keep my eyes locked on my sister-in-law, nodding over to her. Clearing her throat, she sends a soft smile over to her mother.