Chapter 24

Astrid's POV

"I don't know! Nor do I know where they are, what they're doing, or what specifically to do about it." I hear my brother-in-law shout in frustration, throwing a nearby statue onto the ground. "This family makes me want to murder people."

"I see my timing is impeccable as usual." I pop from behind, causing Nik, Caroline, and another woman to turn towards me. Oh wait, that's got to be Rebekah. I remember picking that body for her.

"Well, well, well. The traitor just thinks she can waltz in here like she's welcome!" my brother-in-law grits out, stalking towards me. Frowning at me, Caroline tugs on his arm, pulling him back from killing me. 

"As gracious as your apology better be, you're still getting one hell of a slap!" Rebekah mutters, growling viciously at me. As she moves to attack, I place my hands up defensively. 

"Wait! Wait!" I exclaim, stopping my sister-in-law in her tracks. "I understand the irony of what I'm about to say, but I came here because I need your help."

"Figure out how to do your wicked little body-swap, and then we can talk about help!" Rebekah screeches, flailing her arms around. 

"Look, you don't understand. Finn has locked me in this body -- no more jumping. He's put a curse on me. I'm dying." I detail to my family, earning looks of disbelief in response. "You don't believe me."

"Well, you're hardly the champion of truth-telling." Niklaus mumbles out, before his girlfriend slaps his arm in anger.

"Of course, why would a sister expect her siblings to leap to her aid?" I grit out, glaring over at my brother-in-law.

"Oh, spare me the pity party, Astrid!" he mutters, scoffing at my comment. "Your recent actions merit a certain allowance for disbelief."

"Look, I know what I've done!" I exclaim, turning to my sister-in-law. "But, I won't apologize for trying to pull one over on you, Bekah. You deserved it! But I don't deserve to die! Certainly not at the hands of my own family!"

Before I can do anything, Nik yanks my arm and spins me around to face him. Well that fucking hurt.

"What kind of con are you playing?" he questions, as I jerk my arm out of his grasp. 

"The kind I hate the most -- the truth." I admit,  locking eyes with my pissed off brother-in-law. Before he move, Caroline pops up from behind him.

"She's not lying." my best friend states, sadly glancing over at me. "Even while we were growing up, Kailie always told the truth when she was caught in a lie. She may play dirty, but she's not lying."

Brushing off his girlfriend, Nik steps away from us, before I follow after him. Whether he likes it or not, I do need his help, and I won't stop until I get it.

"Nik, I was helping Marcel for Davina and my brother. Finn has got him, he's trying to get a secret out of him, something he thinks Marcel knows about you." I explain, watching as the three nervously eye each other. "He's right, isn't he?"

"Marcel doesn't know anything about anything." Niklaus grits out, refraining from eye contact with me. I call bullshit.

"Well, if I were you, I'd hope that that's true, because believe me...Finn has the means to get it out of him." I state, narrowing my eyes at the trio. I don't know what this secret is, but it has to be very important if they are this worried.

~~~

"So what is this secret, anyway?" I question, helping Rebekah set up the ingredients for the spell.

"The term 'secret' implies something only known by those who have earned the right to be aware of it." my brother-in-law mutters, glaring down at me. "Start the spell."