Chapter 14

Astrid's POV

I hate this family. They used to be kind, but now they're just assholes. If I could just get these stupid manacles off...

After Kol and I left the tomb last night, he went to inform Valerie of our progress, while I went to grab some dinner. On my way to Rousseau's, however, I was abducted by a hybrid and taken to my in-laws' house. 

Another vampire placed these power-dampening manacles on me and hung me by them in the courtyard. At some point, Finn joined me and began to complain the entire night, making me want to claw my eardrums out. Now, I'm sitting here with most of my family, while Elijah and Niklaus enjoy an early breakfast. 

"Today, a new future awaits." my hybrid brother-in-law announces, causing me to roll my eyes. "Forget your animosity towards Elijah and myself. Instead, join us against she who truly deserves you ire: our mother. Do this, and we will welcome you with open arms!"

"Well..." I trail off, leaning toward a tray of pastries on the table. Before I can grab one, however, Niklaus pulls it away from me. Oh come on! He had his goons grab me before I had a chance to eat last night. The least he can do is give me some food. 

"But, if you continue to oppose us, a denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns!" my hybrid brother-in-law states, sending Finn and I each a devilish grin. Sighing, I lean up in my seat.

"If all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother Dearest, you should have said so!" I exclaim, spitting their nickname for Esther.  "Save me a night shackled to the wall."

"Yes, this was Niklaus. My recommendation was to remove your limbs, one by one, until you comply." my 'noble' brother-in-law states, earning shocked looks from the three of us. What the fuck happened to him? Niklaus lets out an awkward chuckle, walking over behind me and Finn.

"We've...we've no desire to torture you." he explains, squeezing both of our shoulders in a tight grip. "Provided you vow to stand beside us!" 

"Brothers...Does that word even apply to us? After all these centuries of betrayal?" Finn starts off, causing me to roll my eyes and sigh. "And, has loyalty to you ever rewarded? If so, tell me, Niklaus, where is our sister, Rebekah?"

Does he know how to shut up? If these chains weren't on my wrists, I would send him flying into the wall. Elijah and I both glare at him, while Niklaus sends him a curious grin.  

"She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years. And now? Nowhere to be found. " the eldest Mikaelson son details, as my hybrid brother-in-law turns his back to us. "Where did our sister go? And how did she escape your vile machinations?"

A dark chuckle escapes Niklaus' lips, before turning to face us with fury in his eyes. Oh boy. Finn's done it now.

"Heh! You think me vile? What, then do you make of the one who cursed us?" my brother-in-law grits out, while I lean back in my chair. I wish I had some popcorn right now. 

"She was trying to make you mortal again!" Finn exclaims, raising his chains in the air maniacally. "And, you both refused her. It only proves how far you've fallen. But, I expect Rebekah and Kol will have different responses to her proposal. See unlike the two of you, they always did cling to their humanity and magic."

He's a dead man walking. They can go after me, and I won't care. But going after the love of my life is a different story.  Without warning, I jump out of my seat and go after the asshole. 

Before I can do any real damage, however, I am grabbed and pull away from my eldest brother-in-law. Thrashing around, I look back and see Elijah dragging me to the other side of the courtyard. Damn Mikaelson!

"Rebekah and Kol are off-limits." Elijah grits out, as I see a look for fear pass over Finn's face. "You pursue either of them, and you will suffer."

"Do not let him goad you, Elijah. Neither he, nor Esther, will find Rebekah unless she wants to be found." Niklaus calms his brother, sending me a look I cannot decipher. He turns to Finn with a devilish grin, crossing his arms behind her back. "And she does not."

"Esther is quite determined." my eldest brother-in-law starts off, smirking at the three of us. "Kol has already been taken care of, and Rebekah? Mother has been searching for her since she returned. I imagine it's only a matter of time."

Ok that's it! Before any of them can react, I feel the chains across my wrists snap off and my magic return to me. Breaking free of a shocked Elijah's grip, I send Finn flying across the courtyard, causing him to fall unconscious. Turning back to face my brothers-in-law, I send them a grin, crossing my arms against my chest. 

"Where were we?"