Chapter 39

Astrid's POV

Drifting awake, I feel a wave of pain begin emanating from my head. Is this what hangovers feel like? Even when I was human, I never got one this bad. Letting out a groan, I open my eyes, rubbing the bridge of my nose. Shifting up on the bed, I look around to see that I'm back in the compound. And to top it all off, my husband is sitting in a chair watching me. Oh shit.

"What am I doing here?" I question, trying to remember the events of last night. 

"You desiccated after crossing the town line." he recounts, crossing his arms against his chest. "It seems like something didn't want you leaving. And it's not alone in that sentiment."

"Kol..." I start off, trying to calm down the vampire in front of me. 

"No! It's my turn to talk." he grits out, dropping his arms to his lap. "You don't get to just walk away. Not after all we've been through."

"You think I wanted to leave?" I ask, leaning up against the headboard. "I did it to protect you and everyone else I care about in this city."

Seeing the exasperated expression on my face, his gaze softens. Standing up from his spot, he moves to join me on the bed. Sitting up, I slide in next to my husband.

"When did everything get so complicated?" I question, reminiscing about the past. "I mean, our human selves would never have fought this much."

"Times were simpler back then." he recollects, nodding over at me. "The most we had to worry about back then was gathering food and water." 

The two of us fall into a comfortable silence, staring out onto the balcony. From the corner of my eye, I spot my husband sending me a sympathetic look. 

"Astrid, what is happening to you?" he inquires worriedly. "If it's something supernatural, we can get my siblings to help. Well, besides Finn."

Letting out a loud sigh, I grab onto the comforter to steady myself. Turning to face Kol, I lock eyes with him.

"Whatever spell my brother and Davina used to resurrect me backfired." I admit, seeing a shocked expression spread over the vampire's face. "With the powers I have from my last body, I'm now considered, according to those two, an Original Heretic. "

A few moments pass in awkward silence, causing me to scan Kol's face for any sort of reaction. 

"So, why did your powers overload?" he questions, finally choosing to speak. 

"That was a complete accident. Once I get full control of my powers, I'll be able to prevent that from happening again." I explain, only partially telling the truth. There's no guarantee this body will ever be able to control these powers. Jamie grew up practicing with them, but I'd never had magic in my first life or as Kailie. 

"And that's why you ran..." he realizes, trailing off into his thoughts. Placing his hand onto mine, he sends me a reassuring smile.

"We can get my sister to help you." Kol promises, trying to get me to relax. "We can work this out. Together."

Letting out a low chuckle, I raise my other hand to wipe away any stray tears. Before I can lower my hand, Kol grabs ahold of it and pulls me closer to him. Wrapping my arms around the back of his neck, I sadly smile up at him. 

"I love you." I state, trying to distract him. Seeing a similar grin plaster itself onto his face, I feel my husband lean in closer.

"I love you too." he mutters, as I close the gap between us. Connecting our lips together, I run my fingers through his hair. Pulling me onto his lap, Kol wraps his arms around my waist. Feeling him exploring underneath my shirt, I snap out of whatever trance I was trapped in.

Removing my hands from his hair, I shift them down to his neck again. Breaking away from the kiss, I send him a melancholy smile. Narrowing his eyebrows in confusion, my husband goes to speak. Before he can, I quickly twist my wrists, snapping his neck. His body falls back onto the bed, as I stand up from my spot. 

Making sure I have my phone and Kol's car keys, I walk toward the balcony. Glancing back at him with a frown plastered on my face, I momentarily hesitate. As much as I don't want to leave, I know I have to if I want him to be safe. Turning back to the awning, I look down to make sure no one is nearby. 

Once the coast is clear, I jump down and head toward the car. Seeing the familiar black Camaro, I unlock the door, climbing inside and locking the door behind me. Starting the engine, I speed off, hoping to find a good hiding spot.