nineteen

This chapter is a day late, but it's still here :)

~

After I explained the whole water-spilling, phone-breaking fiasco, Axel asked me to show him my phone. I was offended at first that he thought I would lie to him, but he didn't even look at my phone and instead pocketed it.

"I'll fix it later," he had said, and then he led me back to his car so we could drive back to Dark Wood territory.

I've never left Lunar Pack territory before- at least, not in my recent memory. Maybe once or twice when I was younger, but it wasn't very far away and I don't remember where I went. There was a time when my parents weren't entirely shitty, but thinking back on it, it was probably before they started sensing my attraction to men.

I tried. I really tried looking at the scenery and road signs as we drove out of familiar territory and closer to Axel's pack. But then, the forest got really boring and Axel wasn't very talkative, so I started asking countless questions. Axel didn't answer most of them with discernable answers, and he most likely wanted to rip my head off, but he listened to me talk and answered what he was comfortable sharing.

It wasn't much, but it was something.

Axel lets me know that we're close to the Dark Wood pack house and I immediately perk up. Now that I'm looking around the unfamiliar forest, I notice that trees anywhere are pretty fucking boring to look at. Without meaning to, a nervous bubble of anxiety emerges in my stomach.

I don't want to be nervous. I've been looking forward to meeting the Dark Wood pack all week, yet I can't help but let the anxiety rule my brain. It's going to be fine. They're going to love me. At least, that's what I tell myself.

I don't even realize that I started shaking my leg until Axel puts a hand on my thigh.

"Sorry," I apologize, thinking he is annoyed by my leg-tapping. However, he doesn't remove his hand, so I turn my head towards the window and hope he can't see my blush from the driver's seat.

A house comes into view, and I swear that my jaw unhinges at the sight. No, scratch that, it's not a house. It's a fucking mansion. I knew the Dark Wood pack house was big, but this is obnoxiously massive! Fuck, I'm so getting lost in there this weekend.

The Dark Wood pack has a mansion where most members live, unlike the Lunar pack house which only houses the Alpha, Beta, and a few other wolves. There are a few rooms for guests, but I bet this mansion has at least ten extra rooms, if not more.

Axel parks in the parking lot behind the pack house- yes, there's a parking lot!- and he gets out of the car and gets my duffle bag. He carries it inside the pack house, which is unlocked. I can smell that there are wolves in the entrance, but I'm too entranced by the extravagance of this freaking place to pay any attention to them. The high ceilings, the open concept, the large windows that would allow lots of light to appear in the daytime, and the modern feel of the room make my head spin.

"Fuck me," I groan as I look around the room. I've never been in a place this nice!

"I'm pretty sure that's Axel's job," a familiar voice chuckles. I finally look to my left and see Cole standing with a pretty redhead who I assume is his mate Madelyn. She punches Cole in the arm and starts whispering something about making a good impression.

"Wow, so you're already being a little shit, aren't you?" I grin, shaking my head. I wave to the girl who must be Madelyn, and then I notice a tall guy with gray-blue eyes and dark brown hair who is standing next to Cole. He stares at me, trying to figure me out. He must see something good because he shares a small smile. He then looks at Axel.