epilogue

Hello hello! I'm back with the epilogue and final chapter of The Mark of a Beta! I'm truly grateful to everyone who has stuck by this story and waited for this last bit. I have a message at the end of the chapter. 

Remember: this is not the end of Cooper and Axel's story! I have plans to write another book that takes place between this one and The Dark Side of the Moon, so this isn't the end of their story!

~

"You do realize that you can't walk across the stage with me, right?"

I receive a growl in response, as suspected. "You're still weak," Axel grumbles, but I just place a hand on his chest and grin. It's hard to look sexy in a graduation cap and gown, but I make it work. The black fabric is not exactly flattering, but when you've got a face like mine, anything can be attractive.

"You're scaring the children," I tease him, motioning with a tilt of my head towards my classmates who have started whispering while creating distance from me and my mate.

Okay, they're only trying to get away from Axel, but he won't leave me alone! He doesn't like being back on Lunar territory, even if it's only for a day. I understand it brings up bad memories for him, but graduation is important to me. I worked so fucking hard to be standing here and earning my diploma, and nothing- not even my clingy-as-hell mate- is going to ruin this for me.

"Go wait with my sister," I say.

Another growl.

Axel still doesn't like my sister. So what? Since her apology, I have forgiven her for her negligence when it came to my abuse. I haven't forgotten how that negatively impacted me, and I don't think we'll ever have a super close sibling relationship, but I don't want to cut her out of my life. We both don't have parents, so the least we can do is be there for one another.

I'm really happy she wanted to come to my graduation. Nik came along too, and they're both seated alongside Anya, Dan, Thomas, and their mates. Dan even brought his kids, too. It feels strange, in a good way, that I have this support system. I never knew I had this many people there for me until I needed them most. Even Grayson and Cole wanted to come, but they needed to be on Dark Wood territory.

"You expect me to sit next to the woman who allowed you to be abused?"

So dramatic, am I right?

"Ax, she's apologized. We're trying to move past it. Now please-"

"This is why everyone is nervous," Larry chuckles, then presses his clipboard to his chest as if that gives him some type of authority over me. He volunteered to help ensure the ceremony runs smoothly. I think he gets paid extra for helping out, so I'm sure that's his motive. Why else would he hang around high school kids on his day off? "Don't rip my throat out for saying this, but you need to join the audience, Axel. It's almost go-time."

Axel clearly does not like being told what to do. He continues to stare at Larry, his eyes dilating enough for me to realize that it's time for me to step in.

"Leave right now and I'll do that thing I said I'd never do again."

As expected, Axel jerks his head towards mine so quickly I can't help but laugh.

"Ugh, please not in front of me," Larry groans, then he points his clipboard in front of him towards a group of my classmates who are attempting to do some viral Tik Tok dance. "Hey! Stop shaking the ass you don't have and stay in alphabetical order. It's not that hard!"

As Larry goes to deal with them, Axel grabs my hips and pulls me so my chest rests against his. "You will?"

"Yep," I grin, then push him away. "Now go, you fucking horndog."