twenty- one

Just a reminder that I post once a week on Saturdays :)

~

"I can't really see without contacts or glasses." The words sound dirty coming out of my mouth, like I'm a failure, like I'm less than. It's stupid because a lot of humans deal with this issue and it's not a big deal for them. However, it's a marker of weakness in the werewolf world. We're supposed to have amazing hearing, perfect vision, and top-notch senses.

I am immediately weaker because of my problem. At least, that's what my mom always said.

"Were you born like that?" Axel's deep baritone voice is smooth and calming. Maybe he won't judge me as harshly as I thought. I lower the washcloth from my eye and place it next to me on the bed. Axel may have a conniption later about a wet splotch on his clean comforter, but that's a later issue.

"No. Something happened last year."

"Tell me."

"Why should I?" I stand up and walk to the opposite side of the room. With my arms crossed, I turn and look at his blurry form. The fingers in his right hand twitch like he wants to reach for me but he's restraining himself from moving closer.

"You won't even talk to me about your issues."

Axel stares at me for a long time. He remains completely still, and his emotions are so subdued and so quick-changing that I can't really make out much of anything that's happening in his head. He inhales through his nose, exhales, and then he seems to have grounded himself.

"When I was young, my parents would oftentimes sneak up on me from behind. My reflexes were too slow at the time."

Whatever I thought Axel would say, it sure as shit wasn't that. Axel was abused as a child? It makes perfect sense to me why he wouldn't like me coming at him from behind. It explains why he reacted with sudden violence earlier today at training. I had no idea that would be a trigger for him.

I remember when I first noticed all of the scars on his chest and back. Were those all from his parents? I guess I had wrongly assumed that the scars were from fights he involved himself in as a Beta. I never would have guessed the true cause.

"Axel, I-"

Axel swipes his hands in a dismissive gesture. "It's fine."

A rage all my own bubbles to the surface. My mate is minimizing the trauma inflicted on him by his shitty parents.

Maybe we're more alike than I realized...

"And where are these fucking parents of yours? I'll fucking kill them for laying a hand on you! What sort of sick fuck abuses a child?" I'm pacing around the room now. My claws have already made an appearance, and my eyesight is improving slightly which means they're probably glowing thanks to my werewolf nature.

"They're long dead."

"They fucking better be!"

One look at Axel and I know just what he needs. I guess I need it, too.

I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him in for a hug. I bury my nose where I marked him last night as I bask in our combined scent. He's safe, I tell myself. I run a hand through his hair, feeling the soft locks tangle in my grip.

"I won't ever come at you from behind again. I didn't know, but now I do. I'm sorry for freaking you out." I kiss his mark once, and I don't miss his sharp intake of breath. "Thank you for trusting me enough to tell me."

I pull away from him and press my forehead to his. Axel's hands tighten around my waist as we breathe in the silence. Our bond strengthens the more and more we trust and connect with one another. I can feel it like a physical cord between us as it pulls us closer.