CHAPTER 22

••••

••••

Daphne didn't sneak out of the house a lot. But she had to do it tonight or she'd really go crazy.

She had to visit the graveyard, not far from her house. . .to visit Uncle Francie. . .or as she now knew, her Father.

Sly as she could be, she tiptoed out of the room with a peacefully sleeping Hermione still in it. Grabbing her coat from the coat rack, Daphne pulled out a pair of gloves from her coat pocket and put them on.

She couldn't risk the main gate and so she climbed out into the backyard from a window.

Once she knew she couldn't be heard, she broke into a run for the graveyard. Reaching it, her breath caught up in her lungs, she decided to turn back and forget she was ever here. But couldn't bring herself to do it. She walked around towards her Father's grave at a far end of the Graveyard.

𝓕𝓻𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓲𝓼 𝓖𝓻𝓮𝓮𝓷𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓼𝓼
1958-1992

Daphne reached out to touch the tombstone, dragging her finger along the engraved name.

". . .you could have just told me!" She whispered to herself. "Dad." She didn't bother stopping the tears or her shuddering body. She didn't feel exposed and let it all out. "I'm going to kill him. I promise you. I will kill him for mom. And for you"

"That's not what he would've wanted honey, You are no killer."

Daphne shrieked and jumped up at the voice.

"MOM!!! What are you doing here!!?"

Jeanne looked at her daughter's state and felt unbearable pain in her chest.

"You don't have to do it alone Daphne. You're never alone love!" She brought her girl closer to her as the tears fell from her own eyes.

"I just wish at least he had a little more time mum." Daphne sniffled, looking back at the tombstone.

"Me too baby. I hate to see you hurting." She looked away.

"I'm okay now. Let's go home please?" Daphne lightly said

Jeanne nodded and took her daughter's hand like she was a toddler. None of them said a word throughout the way back.
And to Daphne's relief, Jeanne didn't mention it again in the coming weeks.

***

"Are you going to the burrow or not?" Hermione asked, shoving a toast down her mouth while reading some other course book for their next year.