CHAPTER 01

••••

••••

"Mum look!!... there's an owl here!! it's so pretty! Hermione!! Come here!"

"An owl? Where!? Wow! mum come look!!" screeched Hermione.

The mother of the two girls came out from the kitchen..a dirty kitchen apron around her waist as she saw the owl with a letter in it's beak, sitting on the window pane.

"Oh dear. . .an owl with letters?"

Daphne looked at it's beak again and it had two letters. She quietly moved forward not wanting to startle the beautiful creature from where it sat peacefully admiring their faces.

"Daphne! it will bite you!" Hermione said nervously from behind her sister.

"Let's find out, shall we?"
The girl said, moving forward slightly touching the owl's head and taking the letters from it's beak. As soon as the letters were in her hand, the owl looked up at her. . . .Hermione shuddered. Then the owl instead of biting Daphne, flew away into the sky.

"Mum I think you should read them." She handed the yellowish envelopes to her mother as Hermione stood straighter, trying to take a look at the writing.

"What do you think those are?" Hermione whispered.

"Strange letters. . .I don't know.. come on Herm. . .we should let her read them. I'm starving!"

"Me too. .mum was making pancakes. . . let's see if they are done or burnt." She giggled as they went back to the kitchen to check the pancakes.

Hermione being the better cook. . .flipped the pancake and put it on a plate while Daphne got the syrup and started pouring lots of it before Mrs. Granger came back in. . .her expression was unreadable but certainly changed.

"Girls. .step away from the stove. .I'll make more if you step aside Hermione. .oh Daphne!!. . .your teeth will fall out if you have that much syrup!" She shook her head.

"Well then you two are dentists for what reason?" the blonde said with a grin.

Hermione giggled at that and the mother smiled too when Mr. Granger came in, ready to leave for the clinic.

"Morning girls,morning dear!"
He chirped up.

"Morning dad" the sisters sang in unison.

"Good morning Charles!...can I have a word in private?...girls finish your pancakes and don't take more syrup! You'll have a toothache"

She dragged the father out of the kitchen but not before shooting a warning look at Daphne that said "no more syrup"

"Now what's that about." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Is it about the letters?"
Daphne looked up from her plate and so did her sister.

"Yes! Why didn't I think of that..that must be it..Now I'm curious!..what was in those strange envelopes.?" She frowned.