8. Together

We spent the next morning learning more about each other's deepest secrets and exploring our bodies.  Being with a naked James confirmed that he had the most beautiful body I had ever seen, and I had seen plenty of male nudes in art school.  Even his prosthetic arm didn't detract from his perfection. It was a technological marvel, perfectly attuned to his nervous system. Designed by Wakandan scientists it was a part of his body.  With its hand he could feel and touch the tiniest thing with sensitivity.  It's smooth surface as he caressed me with it was indistinguishable from his normal hand.  Making love with him was more than a physical activity.  Even though my sexual history was limited it seemed after that first time with him that my body knew exactly where to go, how to respond, and how to initiate.  Everything James tried with me and had me try on him received the green light.  After so many years of avoiding physical relationships I was overwhelmed with the number of orgasms I experienced with James in those first few hours.  For so long I had believed I would never be able to ever enjoy that level of intimacy with a man.   At some point during the love making a strange thought began forming in my mind.  When we took a breather by sharing a bubble bath I put it to him.

      "Hear me out. Before I met you I couldn't bear for a man to be physically close or touch me.  I tried a few dates and they were disastrous so I gave up.  Then I saw you in the ambulance and immediately felt safe.  I agreed to live here that night.  Your smell was so appealing and I imagined you naked that very night.  My headache disappeared by the next day, my broken tailbone healed by the week after.... Did you do something to affect my body in some way so that I would be receptive to you?

       He sat upright and leaned towards me. "I don't smell.  But...after the mission we stopped in Wakanda and I talked to Princess Shuri about you.  I mentioned that you could smell me that first night in the hospital.  She was very interested and said we both should come back for some tests.   I said we would come back on our honeymoon."

       He had an innocent look on his face but when he saw the confused look on mine he stepped out of the bath tub and into his bedroom.  He returned with a small box in his hand and I became aware that I could hear my heartbeat in my ears. He stepped back into the tub and opened it to a beautiful engagement ring. 

       "While I was away I couldn't stop thinking of you and the life I wanted with you.  I knew I wanted to propose when I returned.  I love you, Gail.  Will you be my wife?" His eyes were tender.

       "Yes, my love," I started tearing up as he placed the ring on my finger.  It sized itself instantly to fit.

       "The diamond is a gift from King T'Challa. There is a tiny amount of vibranium mixed with the gold in the band making it indestructible.   A microscopic computer chip controls the size.  I actually contacted the Wakandans during the mission.  They made the ring in that short time before I picked it up."

        He kissed me again then pulled me on top of his body as he laid back down in the water.  As we slipped under the bubbles he said huskily, "Do you know why I have a thing for redheads?"

       It was early-afternoon before we took another break.  As James made a phone call I checked my phone and saw ten messages from Alison.  When I called back and gave her the news she screamed so loud I had to hold the phone away from my ear.  As she calmed down I asked her to be my maid of honour.  She screamed yes and I promised to get back to her when I knew more.

       "I asked Sam to be my best man," said James. "He said yes. His exact words were 'With pleasure'.  Did you ask Alison?"

       I gave him the thumbs up. He leaned suggestively down close to me.

       "We have time for another round before our engagement party."

       "Engagement party? You had time to organize a party?  Oh, you told Sam on the mission, too, didn't you?"  James nodded sheepishly.  "I need at least a couple of hours to get ready, and I have to let Alison know.  I would have liked time to get a new outfit so I look good for your friends."

       He laughed and put his finger tips gently on my lips.

       "I know.  Call Alison and have her meet you here at this address for facials, hair, pedicure... the works. They will be bringing you some 'ensembles' to choose from. The party won't start until you two are finished."

       "As you wish," I replied to him and he beamed.

       A few hours later Alison and I stepped out of the spa to the sight of James and Sam leaning against a limousine.  They both looked amazing and I suspected they had bought new suits.  Sam and Alison seemed to hit it off and we all piled into the vehicle.  It drove to a marina where a sleek, elegant yacht was moored. 

       "It belongs to Pepper Stark and just happened to be available," announced Sam. "She can't make it tonight but said she will definitely come to the wedding.  Morgan wants to be a flower girl."

       "Deal!" I exclaimed.

       As we boarded the party was starting.  I couldn't believe the number of the current Avengers and associates who were actually at my engagement party. Considering James had just asked me that morning it seemed odd that so many were in town for the party. 

       "James," I pulled him aside.  "When did you invite everyone?"

        He looked at me.  Sam had overheard me asking the question.

        "He told them on the first day he arrived that he was asking you," he laughed.  "I told you that day I met you that he liked you.  Well, Gail, he REALLY liked you."

       "What if I had said no?"  I asked innocently.

       "After that incredible sex we had?"

        Everyone within earshot laughed.  James put his arm around me and whispered in my ear.

        "I took a gamble that the woman I was crazy for was just as crazy for me.  I'm so glad you said yes because I couldn't imagine my life without you."

     Throughout the evening as many of the different people stepped forward to shake hands or give us a kiss I realized how fond they were of James.  They were his family.  Some, like Sam, were very close to him and others were like the cousins you see at family holiday gatherings.  It became obvious that all they wanted was for him to be happy in life.  Now I was about to marry into that family.  Me, an orphaned only child had found a home and I couldn't wait to live in it.