9. Wedding Plans

James and I decided to marry just two weeks after the engagement party. We saw no reason to delay formalizing our relationship. To plan a wedding within two weeks was going to take a lot of help. Fortunately, I was offered the services of a top wedding planner, Monica. When I asked her how she had heard I needed help she got all mysterious and just said it was all taken care of.

She asked if a certain venue was to my liking. It was if I could afford it I replied. She got all mysterious again and said not to worry about it. Then she went through the guest list of everyone that had been at the party the night before plus a few that hadn't made it and asked if I wished to add anyone. I added Alison's family and a few cousins I still kept in touch with. That was the guest list taken care of.

Monica then asked if I could be at the airport the following morning with Alison and up to five others, if I wished, to be flown to New York City to chose a gown at the bridal salon that had their own tv show. I had no choice but to say yes.

When I got off the phone James looked at me with a knowing look in his eye and asked if everything was alright.

"Did you arrange all of this ahead of time?" I demanded. "Spill the beans, Barnes. I feel like a lot of this has been prearranged."

"Truthfully, no," he admitted. "When I told the others about asking you word got back to Pepper Stark. That's why she had the yacht available to us. She offered her services as an organizer supreme to arrange your wedding."

"She's Monica? Why wouldn't she just tell me?" I started to cry.

"She was going to tomorrow when she met you at the jet," he said soothingly. "She's just in a position to get things done quickly. I should have told you sooner. I'm sorry."

I forgave him later after we had some great sex a few more times. After the great sex, we were watching tv while I scrolled through wedding websites on my phone looking for ideas. I at least wanted something we came up with to be part of the wedding. I came across an image with a Welsh word on it – hiraeth. There was no direct English translation but it meant to be filled with a deep aching longing for something that had been lost, specifically home. It struck me that this word described our lives before James and I found each other. We found "home" in and with each other. I showed it to him and he agreed that it was the most accurate description of the loneliness and isolation he experienced before we met. Then he got all excited and played me a song from his playlist that he thought could be for our first wedding dance. It was "Home" by Michael Buble. He played it often when he was on the mission as it reminded him that I was here waiting for him. I hugged him. We had just chosen the song for our first dance.

The next morning Alison and Sam picked me up for the airport. I wasn't surprised to see them together. They danced together during most of the engagement party.

"You're both coming?" I asked coyly.

"Hell yes," said Sam. "I have excellent taste in women's clothing. Who do you think chose the outfits for the engagement party?"

I had to admit he was right. Those outfits were stylish and sexy without being garish. As we pulled up to the airport area for private jets I noticed a tall elegant blond woman with a young dark haired girl. Pepper Stark was as nice as anyone could ever be with a complete stranger. She apologized for keeping me in the dark about masquerading as Monica and introduced me to my flower girl, Morgan. She was a very sweet and bright little girl and I liked her immensely.

On the flight to New York Sam and Alison kept to themselves. Morgan coloured or read books. There was a question I wanted to ask Pepper. She must have sensed it as she asked me if there was anything I wanted to know.

"James told me that two of his victims were your husband's parents. Why, knowing that, would you offer to organize our wedding? Why be so kind to someone who caused such pain?"

"When Tony first found out he was angry. Angry at Bucky, of course, but angry that the grief he felt as a teenager had been stirred up again. You know that it split the Avengers apart? It wasn't until the Snap happened and Morgan was born that he began to rethink his perspective. Everybody had lost so much through a snap of the fingers but he still had me and Morgan."

She paused a moment and I could see the pain of her own grief at his death flicker across her face.

"He read a lot of the HYDRA files during those years and learned that when Bucky wasn't on ice, or brainwashed into his Winter Soldier persona, that he was very much a lost soul in anguish for all the evil he was forced to commit. Tony began to realize that Bucky was a victim too. He did forgive him, you know. Not to his face but he told me and Steve and others. Then when I found out Bucky had fallen in love with a woman he rescued from a mugger, I knew that I wanted to help you both. Tony left me more than enough to live several lifetimes over. Let this be my wedding gift to you both, I insist. "

I reached over and took her hands in mind. As tears came to her eyes I could feel tears forming in mine.

"I don't know what's come over me today," I explained. "I've cried several times. Must be that time of the month."

We both laughed and enjoyed the rest of the flight. By the time we returned home on that jet I had a dress. It was one that Sam picked and I loved it immediately. On the flight back I told Pepper about the word Hiraeth and having the DJ play "Home" by Michael Buble for our first dance. She loved the concept and the song and promised to incorporate them both. After confirming my favourite flower - roses for my birth month June - and my favourite gemstone - pearls, also for my birth month we said goodbye until a few days before the wedding. She became a good friend on that day.