28. Taking a Breather

The decision was made to start examining the files the following day in the mid afternoon for exactly one hour, starting at 2 pm. There was an empty office in the core that we could use. Fury would set it up with 3 desks and chairs, and some shelving. Buck and I would bring the files with us but the boxes would stay there after that. Considering that other things were happening to all of us that required our attention it seemed prudent to limit our time with the files, at least to start.

As we left the office area Friday informed us that Bruce Banner wished to see us. We walked over to the medical centre. Banner was at a desk in an office entering some information on the oversized keyboard adapted to his large size. He waved us over and finished entering his data.

"Come in. I just finished the video call," he began. "You've got yourself a hell of a good doctor there. I can see why Shuri wanted her as your primary physician. She still is, by the way. I'm just a caretaker. She is going to video in during your ultrasound and direct our ultrasound technician during the process. They are looking for specific markers that will gauge the baby's development. I've been invited to contribute so I will be present as well and if I see anything that concerns me, I'll bring it up. As to the midwife, she wants to know if you are on board."

He looked at us expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Considering she's based in New Orleans, it would be kind of hard," I pointed out.

"That's true but this midwife, Nadine Henry is her name, has proposed to come here and train any of our nurses that are interested in midwifery using you as her sample patient," he said. "We have a number of married couples here and it would be nice to keep their medical care in house if they decide to start a family. I'm excited by the idea, to be honest. In fact, we could set up a homey birthing centre, not hospital looking at all. When I was on the run I worked as an MD in some pretty poor areas. The midwife was often the only one with any sort of medical experience. I learned a few things from some of them."

"Okay, then," I agreed, looking at James as he nodded. "Let the midwife come."

"Excellent!" Banner exclaimed. "Ms. Henry has already been cleared by the Wakandans so we should have her security and housing set up here by the end of the week. She is coming in on Sunday night, will see you Tuesday morning and your ultrasound is Tuesday afternoon."

It was approaching lunch and I was definitely hungry but we had to find Rowdy first. I decided to try asking Friday.

"Friday, bring up VGI and locate our dog Rowdy," I requested to the air.

A screen came up showing Rowdy was back in the Avengers lounge. We walked there and found him sprawled out on the sofa with his head on Peter's lap. He was watching TV. As we entered Rowdy lifted his head to look at us, then dropped it back with a little groan.

"Oh hey," said Peter, "we tired him out. He's been like this for at least half an hour. He's an awesome dog."

"Thanks Peter," said James, "where is everyone?"

"BBQ day," said Peter, "I'm not hungry yet so I can stay here with Rowdy if you want to get something."

James quickly thanked him and herded me towards the cafeteria. There was a huge lineup and he groaned but then we heard someone call his name. It was Simmons. James went to see him and came back pulling me out of the line.

"Act natural, like it was planned all along," he whispered as we moved past the line.

We kept walking past Simmons and the line to an outdoor lounge area. In the shady corner at several picnic tables pulled together were a few of the Avengers, including Sam with his family. Some were already eating the biggest hamburgers I had ever seen while others were waiting. They waved us over.