17. Relationship Issues

When I returned to the studio Intanda was carrying a box of art supplies through the door. I glanced at her and realized her shirt was on inside out. Mentioning it she ran to the bathroom and came out with it fixed.

"Please Mrs. Barnes," she pleaded, "don't say anything to anyone. It was just a kiss and it got out of hand."

"Being gay isn't illegal here, is it?" I asked.

"No, no," she replied almost in whisper. "I'm bisexual. There are many gay couples and shamans are often 2 spirited. We're not permitted to have intimate relations with a guest of the king. I should have been more careful."

I assured her I wouldn't say anything, not even to James. She laughed and admitted he was worth being fired for. I must have looked shocked because she quickly added that I would be too. She then said she would never ask either of us because our "cup was already full with each other". Truthfully, I liked how she put it but I decided not to mention it to James as I didn't want to share him with anyone.

The two women finished bringing in the remaining boxes of art supplies. Intanda's day was done but she stood awkwardly, hesitant about leaving. Getting the hint I stepped outside into the hallway and closed the studio door. I checked my phone and found a message that I wished I hadn't seen. I started thinking about how I was going to tell James when the door opened and Intanda came out. She looked visibly more relaxed and left for the palace staff accommodations.

Nomlanga was busy cutting the last piece of canvas. I told her I wouldn't be able to help anymore that day as I had received sad news that my husband needed to hear. She offered her sympathies and I left for the meditation garden. The two men weren't there so I returned to our suite. I saw Ross on the way and asked him to pass the news on to the king. We wouldn't be attending dinner.

I opened the door to the suite. The bedroom door was open and I could hear the shower going. Sitting on the edge of the bed I went over how I could tell him. The bathroom door opened and James came out with a towel wrapped around his waist. Seeing me sitting there he jokingly told me I was overdressed. I didn't respond. Immediately he was at my side.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly.

"Dottie died," I whispered.

"What?"

"They found her in the morning, with the photo album on her lap," I started sobbing as did he.

He buried his face into my neck weeping for the last person he knew from before. I wept with him and for him. He crawled under the covers. I went to him but he said he wanted to be alone. His silence frightened me but I left him there and closed the door. I opened the interior passage door and T'Challa was there, wearing his Black Panther suit.

"How is he?" his eyes were full of concern.

"He wants to be alone," I replied. "I don't know what to do."

"Tell him to come to the quarry," he instructed. "He knows where it is. Tell him I'll be waiting."

He hugged me then turned and ran down the interior hallway.

I went to the bedroom and James was sitting on the side of the bed. Even from the side I could see the darkness boiling within him. I gave him T'Challa's message and he disappeared into the dressing room only to emerge a few moments later in a long sleeved black T-shirt, black fatigues and black boots. He had taken his wedding ring off and was wearing his old dog tags. He stopped beside me and gently touched my face but his face was full of pain, grief and misery. He ran through the open doorway and down the hallway.

Waiting took it's toll on me. First I paced around, then I laid in bed until I memorized every shadow. Finally, I pulled the duvet and a pillow into the darkened reception room and curled up on the couch. After what seemed like hours I heard a noise down the interior hallway. T'Challa was carrying an unconscious James towards me. He passed by me and laid him on the shower floor. T'Challa was breathing heavy and he took a few moments to catch his breath. Then he beckoned me out to the reception room.