New World 2

"Yantago, The Goblin Gem God, I presume?" I asked rhetorically.

"Hehehe, Gild Domov. You're quite perceptive, ain't ya?" It cracked an enfeebled smile. "I'm the Goblin Gem God to the Amber-Skin goblins. I sp'ose you're not too keen to become a goblin."

"I'm not. If I was alive, I don't know whether I'd be angry or crying. Either way, I'd be in tears."

The god chuckled weakly. "Nuff' wastin' time, I don't got a lot of it."

That sentence resonated in my mind. I found the notion of a god struggling for time oddly mortal.

"I wanna make you my champion. My representative on Oleogoth. My goblins are close to kickin' the bucket. Humans, goblins, nature, you get the picture. I got my hopes on you to save my people," the god pleaded.

"Couldn't you interfere directly? Surely if you are able to summon a champion you can help them escape?"

The god shook its head. "Course I tried. Blessings, oracles, calamities. But I'm not the only god, let alone the only goblin god, the others wanna get rid of me."

"Why should I be your champion? What could I possibly gain from trying to save a bunch of goblins?" I knew this god is desperate and weak, this whole situation did not sound like a good opportunity to me. However, I didn't have much in the way of persuasion either.

The god crossed its crystal forearms together, and leaned back into its carved rock throne, "I spent all my god juice on you, so I can't give you crazy powers like them major gods, but I can let you keep yer memories, and give your first pick of abilities and skills." The god smiled and leaned forward to me. I was directly in front of its massive face, the god looked like it had an ambitious glint in its eye.

"Now, I know a guy like you won't like being just any old goblin. By being the savior of my Amber-Skins, you'd get showered in glory! There'll be people who'd worship you. You would be a king."

I found having people who are willing to do as I say, incredibly necessary for success in my previous occupation. Being at the top of the corporate world can be intoxicating, but the buzz eventually wears off. The word "king", however, rang in my mind endlessly like a heavenly church bell. What man did not have fantasies of ruling nations, having servants at one's beck and call, and controlling vast armies? Who could refuse the sweet promises of a god? Either way, I didn't have much choice, I would as well get some benefits out of this situation.

"Alright, but you have to give me the best abilities you have," I answered confidently.

The god leaned back into its throne with a look of amusement on its face. "I'll give you what I can. Hahaha! I knew I picked the right guy. Although you don't have many traits, I think you got what you need to make it out there."