Collaboration 3

I raised an eyebrow. "Purple sewer? A peculiar surname."

Umlau rubbed the back of its head. "It's because of my purple stripe, and that I was born in a sewer."

"Interesting. I am Gild Domov. Divinely Chosen Leader of the Amber Skin Tribe. Holy Ruler of the Amber Skin people."

The snails slid back as I mentioned my titles. I intended to intimidate them or inspire awe. But their reaction was that of weariness.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well..." Umlau hesitated. "We weren't exactly... How you would say, made in god's vision? We're not avid worshippers either."

Now that was something new. "What do you mean by that?"

The snail let out a slimy burp as if sighing. "To summarise, our creators were not Gods, but men. Mages." Umlau and the others slunk back into their shells.

"Hmm. Odd to say the least. But I do not care, as long as you breathe, live and grow, isn't that enough?" As long as they do labour, their origins were inconsequential.

Its body perked up and nodded in agreement. "That's how we see things, but the more devout people do not share similar sentiments."

"There must be some nature god you could worship?"

It shook its eyestalks. "Sure, there are a few. But we aren't exactly natural, in their eyes." Umlau sunk even further back into its shell.

As I reflected on the situation, I began to laugh. "To think! To think that something like this was possible in this world! Ha!"

Umlau hid in its shell, my reaction confused it

I activated my [Preach] and [Orate] skills. "My God, The Great Gemed One, Yantago, does not care for trivialities. If your heart is loyal and filled with the desire to create, then there is no problem."

"Truly?" Umlau was dumbfounded.

"Yes. I invite you to my holding, we will discuss matters of vassalage there."

I floated back to land in my stone throne, and the Gulk followed by paddling like dogs through the swampy water. The snails travelled fast, they managed to keep up with our gentle walking speed. But by the time we arrived, it was already nightfall.

The goblins gawked in awe and disgust. A goblin stood at around 4 feet tall, these snails stood around 6.5 feet tall, and that's not counting their huge shells. They were monstrous. A group of 30 or something giant snails inspired the kind of reaction you would expect in people. Fear, disgust, and some screaming. I could see why these snails felt alienated. Snailienated.

Yet, the people had more visceral reactions to the red goblin prisoners we brought back. You could see the hate on the goblins' faces. The mutual enmity was obvious.