Skirmish 2

A blonde-haired man with a bushy beard and green eyes stood on a balcony. He puffed up his chest as he observed soldiers training below. He stroked his bushy beard as he inspected how each troop swung their sword.

"Lord Helmia, another settlement has been raided." A middle-aged man, carrying a stack of papers, entered the balcony. He tried adjusting his with one hand. He sported long, elegant dark blue robes.

The Lord sighed and rubbed his temples. "Was it those red goblin's again?" He asked.

"Yes, but there is something more." From the stack of papers, he took out a tattered parchment. The writing on the paper was elegant, not that of a commoner, but it was in a foreign language. The language of Troystein. Though it was not an issue for an educated noble.

As Lord Helmia's eyes read past each line, his eyes grew wider. These papers were orders. Someone from Troystein ordered those red-skinned goblins to raid their settlements.

"What are your thoughts on this letter?" The Lord asked.

"It could be a forgery, but I doubt it. I can't think of any reason why someone would forge orders for goblins. Even if it was some sort of elaborate ploy." Lord Helmia silently processed the information. "The handwriting is too neat for a simple mercenary or even goblin. If it was a forgery, there would have been a fake seal on it, but there isn't even one. Perhaps for secrecy?" The man waffled on.

Lord Helmia stroked his beard and once more gazed at his troops. "I suppose it doesn't matter. We must take part in this war regardless. Deploy the troops now, killing some goblins will give them experience."

"Indeed, that is a sound choice. The king himself declared war against that pretender on Troystein's throne. We would have to join in at some point." The advisor nodded. "The question is, who will be leading the troops? Will you send your son? Or one of the commanders?"

The lord scoffed. "That son of mine doesn't have the brawn to open one of his books, let alone to lead an army. As for the commanders... I'd rather lead the army myself."

The spectacled man shook his head. "Please reconsider, a noble cannot go into battle. What would happen to your land if you were to perish on the battlefield? The other nobles would tear it apart."

"Fine..." The lord sighed. "But I will be participating in the goblin extermination. It'll give the men some morale."

The spectacled man nodded; it was at least a small concession. He bowed down and began to leave, he had to inform the relevant people of the army's mobilisation.

"Ah!" The lord grabbed the advisor's shoulder. "Speaking of that boy. What is he up to now?"

"He wrote something about going to claim some contested territory in another fiefdom." The advisor pulled out a wax-sealed letter from the stack of papers. But the viscount shook his head.

"That boy was born with magic but has no talent for it. Whatever, if he wants to claim land through a Rite, then so be it. Assemble the troops, we leave at dusk."