INTRODUCTION

JULY 2005

"What's going on here?" Someone questioned nervously among the crowd. "A fight?" Somebody else asked as everyone stared at the sight before them. A young boy was currently beating a large group of what seemed to be delinquents without much effort. "No way! He beat up 10 people alone! Whoa, that lanky dude looks bad!" Some others said in awe of the young teen's strength. 

Then over on the wall, was a young girl who appeared to be about the same age as him. She was completely unbothered by the sight of her brother beating the boys in front of her half to death. Instead, she merely smoked a cigarette and sat against the wall patiently. 

"Isn't that..." someone began. "That 'crime' and 'punishment tattoo on both hands..." they continued with fear laced in their voice. 

"Kabukicho's infamous 'reaper' Hanma Shuuji!" 

"Then who's the chick? She's pretty hot."

Shuuji came over and snatched the cigarette out of his sister's hand. His fingers were bloody and tainted the cigarette, making his sister downturn her face in disgust. 

"You couldn't light your own? That was the last in my box, asshole." 

He glanced down at her nonchalantly and dropped the boy's head that he'd previously held in his other hand. "This is so boring," he complained quietly to himself and ignored her. 

"Littering the street with bodies wasn't exciting enough for you?"

"I only had to fight them all because they were getting all touchy with you. Try thanking your big brother, yeah?"

She gradually stood up and dusted off her skirt with her hands. Y/n carefully stepped over and around the bodies littered on the ground, to get to her brother. 

"I could've handled myself just fine. You've just been a loose cannon lately."

Shuuji lazily puffed the smoke into the air and closed his eyes. "Are we going continue this dull life everyday until the day we die?"

Suddenly, two men stepped forward and the crowd split to make way for the intimidating duo. It was an older kid with large blond hair and a scar on his head with another around his age with short black hair. 

"Hanma." Both of the siblings turned around at the name. "Someone wants to meet you. Follow me." 

They recognized him as Osanai, the captain of the Moebius gang. The two started to follow behind him out of curiosity. However, Osanai's partner blocked y/n's path and refused to move out of her way. "He's only requested to see one of you. No side chicks allowed."

"Sorry, sweetheart. But, you can hang with us while you wait for him." Osanai suggested and wrapped his arm around her waist. "We'll have plenty of fun without him," he whispered into her ear and her eye twitched in annoyance. 

"Bad move," Shuuji chuckled. 

Before either of the boys could look back down at her, y/n elbowed Osanai in the stomach and kicked his lackey between his legs without even blinking. His held fell from her waist back to his injured stomach and y/n continued to walk ahead of them. 

"Let's go already. I don't want to be around them longer than necessary. "

*

"Are you the 'reaper'?" The boy in front of them asked Shuuji. 

"You're a new face." Shuuji stated and dodged the direct question. 

The boy with tanned skin and glasses glanced over at y/n as she leaned silently on the wall. His eyes pierced into her from where he sat. "I don't believe I requested you to bring a girl, here."

"We're a package deal, four-eyes. Will that be a problem?" she taunted with a grin and leaned her head back onto the wall while looking over at him. 

In that moment it became relatively clear to y/n and Kisaki that there was to be conflict between them.

Y/n hated nothing more than pretentious people who believe they have the right to act any way they please. It was almost like she could read his intentions just from his sharp eyes and arrogant posture. He held himself in a high regard, higher than y/n thought he was worth.

Kisaki hated nothing more than girls who were immodest and willingly exposed their bodies the way y/n did. She was vulgar and didn't hold any shame as guys tried to sneak glances at her from the corner of their eyes.  

He continued to stare and analyze the young girl. Kisaki tried to calculate her use within his plans and soon his face was plastered with a smile of realization. Shuuji stepped in front of Kisaki's line of sight towards Y/n. 

"Better get to the point. You've been staring a bit too hard for my liking," Shuuji threatened plainly and dropped his old cigarette to the ground before smothering it while holding eye contact with Kisaki.

Kisaki recognized their complete loyalty with another that was securely bounded by blood. It was the perfect component. Two for the price of one. A guaranteed set of tools regardless of influence as long as one of them is always under his command.  

"The two of you will become my chess pieces, Hanma Shuuji and Hanma Y/n. The twin pieces."

"Huh?"

"Chess piece?"

The twins asked quizzically and met one another's eyes. Immediately, they felt a different atmosphere when standing in front of Kisaki. They didn't understand or know why but their instincts told them to agree and follow him. Wherever he was to lead them. 

Kisaki would have his devoted twins on his side without fail.