unKnown Chapter 2: Cold Case

3rd person POV: 

Gas station in Agua Fria. 

It was a quiet and boring Wednesday afternoon, however in a small town 3 hours from Wellston a hooded figure sat in a gas station parking lot. 

He had work to do. The quota must be met. The man in the black hood slipped on his mask and waited. Hero hunting was a dull business being completely honest. After what seemed to be hours, he heard a noise.

 Above him was the hero known as Hurricane, capable of flight and extreme strength and speed he would make a worthwhile opponent. Or at least he hoped he would. 

The man in the hood flashed his eye alerting Hurricane to his presence, causing him to fly by him. "Who are you and why have you brought me here" he shouted from the air.

Hurricane had gotten an urgent text from supposedly a relative of a cripple being held hostage by a mid-tier who had suddenly become more powerful overnight.

All he found was a man in a hood next to an expensive-looking car

The hooded man made no reply before blasting him with a thin laser beam that pierced his shoulder, fired from a finger gun. Hurricane could hardly ponder this before another one narrowly missed him. Hurricane tried flying towards him to hit him as hard as he could. The man in the hood simply sidestepped his attack. Hurricane saw the back of his jacket and saw what seemed to be notched in it. The man turned around, clearly smiling and taking amusement from the hero's panic. 

"I have some time for some small talk, by this point I have 37 confirmed kills of superheroes, the most recent being the man known as X-Static. I found your name in his list of contacts and it was merely a matter of finding you after that" 

Hurricane became enraged at this revelation realizing why his friend didn't respond to his texts but was struck by another one of the beams, this one narrowly missing his head, and burning a hole through his ear. He gritted his teeth and embraced the pain which was now replaced by rage. This was all before being trapped in a cage of these beams all shot from the tip of the hooded man's finger. As the cage closed in, Hurricane pondered what his final words should be.

The hero spoke a safe choice:

"F*ck you" 

The beams closed in

The man in the hood looked down at the ground at what used to be the hero known as Hurricane. He did his usual act of burning the symbol of EMBER in the corpse and upon sending the picture he took he went to the gas station.

The cashier looked horrified after seeing what just went down in the parking lot. 

The hooded man walked through the store slowly, eventually deciding on purchasing some hand sanitizer and a pack of mints.

He paid with a single 500€ bill

After spending a minute or so making change the clerk asked if he had a name for the order. 

The hooded man smiled. 

"Just Mark will do fine, thank you" 

When he got in his car, he took off his hood. He sighed deeply. Not only did he have school tomorrow and he still had to shower and it was 1am and Wellston was 3 hours away. 

I should listen to an audiobook or a podcast on the way home 

Come to think of it, I never have read unOrdinary. Ironic for someone who spends their free time hunting those who believe in it.