unKnown part 10: Flashback

Mark POV: Wellston Dorms

It had been a few days since he had confronted John about Claire reaching out to him and his Raven Haired roommate was still slightly pissed about the whole situation. Meanwhile, it seemed like overnight several of his friends had stopped talking to him and the only person who would talk with him was Evie. But even her text messages seemed drier than usual. He had overheard several rumors that Arlo and Seraphina talked about him on the roof. But those were just that. Rumors. Right? But for now, his main priority had to be confronting his boss. 

He was ready to move on to the next step of his plan

He pulled out his phone and called Keon. 

"We need to talk" the white-haired boy stated plainly. 

Keon sounded confused "about what?" he asked 

"Well, truth be told- I'm sick of this relationship. I want to be rewarded for what I do. Not just an empty promise." 

"Mark we talked about this. Finish one more mission and we will release your mother"

"THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID A YEAR AGO"

Mark was pissed now

"Respectfully, Keon- I'm done. And I'm going to free my mother very very soon."

Keon growled into the phone "Take that back or she's dead"

Mark laughed into his phone "You NEED her!" he practically yelled

He went on "Without her ability to resurrect the dead, you wouldn't be able to revive heroes and employ them for your purposes" 

his tone suddenly became calm

"Remember, I defeated all of your friends and employees at the age of ten. Why can't I now"

Keon didn't say anything he just listened in silence.

He finally responded "Mark, I will make your life a living hell. If I can't shut you down, I sure as hell can to Wellston" 

Mark was taken aback

"Expect a force coming your way soon"

Keon shook his head on his side of the phone

"Just between us, I'm quite sad about this. I was fond of you Mark. Seems like that bastard Vaughn got to you"

Mark realized that if his plan was to survive, he'd need to talk with Vaughn. Only he failed to realize, Vaughn had no intent to talk

Vaughn POV: Vaughn's past

Vaughn looked into Mark's records, his father was listed as  "Will" and his mother was listed as a. Jane. That can't be. He pulled up John's file and compared the two. Jane Doe seemed to be Mark's mother as well as John's. That clearly explained the abilities of John but less so Mark. 

Vaughn thought back to some older, unhappier memories.

Eastern Canyon High School, 19XX

Vaughn was at his lowest. He had been beaten badly. After nights and days and weeks' worth of training, he had failed. He tried to take the position of Jack and work his way up the food chain. The Jack had beaten him to near death and he was in critical condition. He was taken to the hospital and got a mysterious visitor while he waited. 

"Visitor for a Mr. Vaughn" asked the nurse

The green-haired boy just shrugged and she motioned in a girl.