Chapter 20: The Enforcers Part 2

John POV: He was sitting back at the warehouse, on his phone. Sera had her head on his shoulders and he was just  

where Karma was giving them a break from training when suddenly Evie burst in the room screaming

"CHECK THE NEWS. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

John looked at Sera and they both bolted out of their chair and looked at a TV news segment

The news anchor was in the middle of a report: "Tragic news in Wellston tonight, a gas leak at the school caused an explosion which caused millions in property damage. Killing the headmaster of the school and a member of the authorities sent to investigate. We salute the front-line hero who gave his life in the line of duty and send our condolences to his family as well as Headmaster Vaughn, a beloved member of the community."

Evie looked like she was about to cry, and Mark looked horrified. Remi, Blyke and Isen were all feeling terrible quite obviously. A silence so deafening it could be heard miles away spread over the group.

Mark broke the silence

"I'm so sorry...........  None of this would have happened if not for me, this is all my fault"

Evie hugged him. "No. Stop it. This is EMBER and the authorities fault, no more no less." Mark looked like he didn't believe her but he kept his mouth shut. 

"What now....." asked Isen. "He was our contact and the whole reason we were even in New Bostin." the Pumpkin haired teen went on

Mark sighed. "I guess let's take a vote. We have two options from now on, We can either cut loose and run for our lives. I'm sure Karma will have a place in the Wilderness for us to stay under the radar for a few years until things blow over." 

John asked in a angry tone "What's option two."

Mark looked at the group "We go to the authorities' HQ and end this sorry excuse for a government." 

Sera broke the tension in the room

"So I guess let's take a vote"

Everyone looked at each other as Sera spoke "Any votes for option one. We can cut ropes and run for our lives."

No one raised their hands

Sera spoke louder this next round, "Option two anyone?"

EVERYONE raised their hands.

Evie spoke up. "Coming from a low-tier, we low rankers won't ever be free from the chains of the hierarchy until we can dethrone and destroy the authorities and all they stand for."

John agreed with her "During my time posing as a cripple, I saw first hand how those with less power are treated. We need change."

Remi and Blyke nodded and Isen just shrugged. 

"Guess it's decided then. We take down the leadership of the authorities. Any ideas how to do that Mark?"

Mark stared at the ground before sighing. "I think it's easier to show rather than tell what happened with me and the leader of the authorities."

He activated Keon's ability and the whole group was transported into his memories

Mark POV:

The authorities had a fancy building that the president lived in, but he never spent any time there. The real area he lives in is a complex out in the mountains, only accessible from a single dirt road that is heavily guarded. 

The facility has built-in dampeners making anyone who steps foot in a cripple unless you are an Omni-Tier. 

Inside, Mark met the leader of the authorities for the first and last time.