XXVII

It's around 6 pm on a Thursday afternoon when I walk into the local library and greeted the head librarian.

She smiled warmly and didn't hesitate to lead me in Billie's direction.

After a short walk, I found her sitting in an aisle with her back against a bookshelf. In her lap, an astrophysics textbook.

I chuckled softly, shaking my head. "Aren't you on the clock?"

She quickly looked up and the startled expression on her face soon changed into an endearing one. Her eyes seemed to twinkle as she set the textbook aside and gestured for me to take its place.

Now straddling her lap, Billie leaned in and pecked my lips. "Hi pretty." She smiled, dimples making an appearance.

I watched her eyes slowly traced my facial features, admiring me in silence.

"I'm guessing you missed me?"

She hummed in agreement. "Tu es le soleil de ma vie et mon coeur ne bat que pour toi."

She cocked an eyebrow, "Does that answer your question?"

I laughed, quietly of course, and gave her a kiss on the cheek in return. "I think so."

"So has your shift ended or are you using company time to read..." I pick up the heavy book beside her and read the title, "Encyclopedia of Astronomy and Astrophysics?"

"If you must know, I'm on break. Every once in a while, I like to pick random topics to learn about and cram as much information as possible into my brain within thirty minutes. I need to keep my mind sharp, stay on my toes, y'know?"

"Sometimes I forget you're like, a literal genius. I remember you were all quiet and mysterious. You were a woman of few words who sat back and analyzed everyone from the shadows. I think that's what drew me in— the desire to figure you out."

"Have you?"

"I'm not sure."

"I'd like to believe I still have a few tricks up my sleeve," she smirks.

"Oh really? Like what?" I challenge her, mirroring her smirk.

"That's for me to know and for you to find out."

"Alright playboy," I mock, taking her snapback off of her head and placing it on mine.

Billie smiles and lets out a content sigh, her eyes falling down to the book.

"Hey, wanna recreate some old memories and help me study? God knows you would've failed physics if it wasn't for--" She then proceeds to twirl her finger in circles, eventually landing on herself.

I roll my eyes, thinking of the first insult that comes to mind, "Oh shut up, you eat ass."

She sucks her teeth, "I don't eat ass."

"You ate mine last night?!" I whisper-yell.

"And you liked it!"

"So did you!" I refute.

"Okay and? Love makes you do crazy things, but that doesn't make me an ass eater."