XXXVIII

short, content, and sweet.

Two Weeks Later
Omniscient

There's a common seasonal dilemma that can be directly correlated to life.

In winter, it gets so cold, you convince yourself you'll never feel hot again. And in the summer, the heat seems to be so perpetual, you don't think you'll ever know coldness again.

The same thing goes for emotions.

When you're sad, you can't imagine smiling and laughing ever again. And when you're happy, you can't even fathom you were ever sad.

Although it feels like an endless cycle, it's important to remember, everything is temporary.

You will be cold again. You will be hot again.

You might be sad now, but in time, you will be happy again.

That's a promise.

Life is a constant uphill battle.

Sometimes the slope of that hill will be steep, other times, it'll be gentle.

Through trials and tribulations, that's exactly what Leilani and Billie have learned.

As of right now, the pair were sitting outside in foldable chairs, the LA heat taking a toll on them. Their classmates, who've they've gotten to know over the past four years, surrounded them. Each peer was dressed in a cap and gown, anxiously waiting for their name to be called and receive their high school diploma.

They all have their own stories. Some are struggling with depression and anxiety. A select few are battling an eating disorder or a death of a loved one. And others are trying to find themselves again after being stripped of their self-respect.

Despite sharing similar problems, each person is extraordinarily unique and their obstacles do not define who they are.

They have a bright future ahead of them because they know, things do get better. Happiness does come.

Billie and Leilani are living, breathing proof of that.

Since her release from the institution she attended, her disordered eating patterns are nearly nonexistent. Not perfect, but damn close.

Her father has been fighting a court case against her mother for weeks and all of the time and effort put into it, paid off.

Leilani's dad has sole custody of her and a set-in-stone restraining order against her mom.

With that being said, she never has to see her again. She doesn't have to put up with being emotionally or physically abused by the one person who was supposed to protect her from that.

Billie, similarly, was doing better as well. When she was ready, she confided in Leilani and told her what happened to her. A wave of relief washed over her after confessing, suddenly making her realize that secret had been eating her up inside.

Dylan on the other hand, is rotting, slowly— in prison.

The second she filed a police report and Dylan was put away, Billie started seeing a therapist and is steadily learning to love herself again.

She had made peace with her late mother and ex-girlfriend, now, she could finally work on improving the person she sees in the mirror.

The couple has come to learn, it's easier to fight battles when you've got someone by your side, sword in hand.

They're both doing their best, taking life one day at a time, helping their partner-in-crime heal from the trauma that threatens to follow them into the future.

Leilani leans her head on Billie's shoulder, watching as the next student steps onto the stage, takes their diploma, and smiles for a picture.

"You saved me," She whispers to her girlfriend, a slight chuckle escaping her lips.

Billie shakes her head with a grin, and corrects her— "We saved each other."

--

Fin.

A/N: if you have yet to listen to the song at the beginning, please do so... now.

— Sincerely Yours <3