I'm So Sorry Pt. 2

Kai was still in shock. Even if it's been a week, he still couldn't believe it. Lloyd had hanahaki disease. How the fuck was he suppose to react to that? He was so scared, so shaken, that when Lloyd collapsed into his arms, blood dripping from his mouth, he didn't know what to do. He shook the boy, called his name, grabbed his face but nothing worked. Finally, he remembered he had a cell phone and pulled it out, dialing 911.

He can still remember the calmness in the operator's voice as she told him what to do. How could she be so calm as this boy was collapsed, unbreathing, on the other end of the phone? Kai didn't understand. Eventually an ambulance came and raced off to the hospital where Lloyd was immediately taken in, leaving Kai to stand in the waiting room. He didn't know what to do from there. He called Nya, who drove herself to the hospital about an hour and a half later.

Kai sat in that waiting room anxiously for hours. Day turned into night and Nya struggled to get Kai to go home with her. Finally, Kai gave in and went home for the night, but he didn't sleep. He laid awake all night, constantly checking his phone for any notifications, any at all.

The next day, Kai got a call from the hospital. He hastily picked up the phone, nearly dropping it, and answered the call. He was told to come to the hospital, and he wasted no time in getting dressed and grabbing the keys. With Nya in the car, he drove to the hospital where he was met in the waiting room by the doctor. She looked at him seriously, and his face paled when she told him the news.

From what he had researched, he knows that the hanahaki disease is a serious illness that can result in death if not treated in time. There are three endings to the hanahaki disease: the victim's love is reciprocated and the disease disappears, the victim undergoes surgery to remove the flowers from their lungs, or the person suffocates to death. There are three stages to the disease. Once the victim reaches stage three surgery will no longer be an option, as the flowers have been left to grow for too long and can't be removed. The only hope for the victim is for their crush to change their mind.

She told him Lloyd was in stage three.

The doctor allowed him to go into Lloyd's room to see him, and Kai was instantly on the verge of crying when he saw him. Lloyd was hooked up to several machines that were helping him to breathe. He had a breathing tube down his throat, several IV's were attached to his skin, and he looked sickly pale. The doctor told him he had a lot of damage done to his throat due to the thorns that would occasionally grow on the vines, so he had a neck brace on. He was in a coma-like state.

And it looked like he didn't have much time left.

The doctor left the room to give Kai some time with Lloyd, and he immediately fell back into a chair and cried. He allowed the tears to roll down his cheeks and stain his sleeves as he wiped them away. He could taste the saltiness of them on his tongue. He took Lloyd's cold hand in his and brought it up to caress his cheek as he held it.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I'm so sorry Lloyd. I did this to you. I'm so sorry. You have to fight this, L. I— I love you. I'm so sorry I said your feelings were wrong, I didn't know what to say. I'm sorry—" He almost couldn't speak. If he were to speak any louder he would most likely let out loud wails as he cried, and nobody wanted to hear that.

Kai stayed next to Lloyd's side for the remainder of visiting hours. Finally, when the nurses urged him to leave he slowly got up and walked with Nya to the car, a fragment of what he used to be. How could Lloyd do this to himself? Why wouldn't he get the surgery when he had time? Why, why, why, why, why! Kai didn't get it. He was frustrated and angry. Not at Lloyd, but more at himself. He just couldn't understand.

Eventually, he did research on it, and what he found sent him into a bawling mess. The cost of getting the surgery was that the victim would completely lose their feelings for the person they loved. Is that why Lloyd didn't get it? Did he not want to stop loving Kai? Was he doing this to himself for him? He knows it was his fault, and now Kai can't stand the look of his favorite flowers. Marigolds. He can't stand them. It was clear as day that he had done this to Lloyd. It was his favorite flower that caused his best friend his life.

Kai never felt so empty. He couldn't get up for school the next day. He didn't eat. All he wanted was Lloyd to live so he could look him in the eyes and tell him he's sorry. Tell him that he does love him. But now he would never get the chance.

Or at least, that's what he thought.

The day after his visit, he got a call back from the hospital, telling him to get over there urgently. Kai was freaking out. Was Lloyd dying now? Was he already dead? Had something else happened? Nya had to drive Kai because he was panicking so badly. When they got there, though, they weren't met with the grim face of the doctor. Instead, she wore a smile. Kai was confused, but when she told him why he was summoned his heart skipped a beat.

The flowers in Lloyd's lungs had disappeared almost overnight.

When Kai saw Lloyd laying in his bed, he no longer had a breathing tube down his throat. Instead, he just had an oxygen mask on. Half of the machines Lloyd was hooked up to we're gone, and Lloyd looked healthier. He was still in a coma-like state and had the neck brace, but he looked like he could pull through. Kai laughed at the thought, tears on the verge of spilling out. He was gonna make it, and that's all Kai needed for him to slowly return back to normal.

And that's where he is now. Four days later, and Kai's still sitting by his side. A week had passed, and Kai was getting nervous. He was stroking Lloyd's hand gently, wondering what score he got on his test that day, when he's surprised to feel Lloyd's finger twitch. He looks at Lloyd, eyes wide. He can feel Lloyd gently squeeze his hand. Finally, after a few minutes, Lloyd cracks his eyes open and turns to look at him.

Kai smiles from relief as he takes the oxygen mask off of Lloyd's head, allowing him to breathe by himself. Lloyd looks around, confused. Kai decides to answer his questions before he asks them. "Hey. You passed out in your bathroom. You were brought here, and you've been in a coma for a week."

Lloyd's eyes widen. "W-who found me?" He quietly asks.

Kai rubs the back of his neck. "Me...?"

Lloyd's jaw hangs open. Kai laughs nervously, but then get's serious. "You were in the middle of one of your fits..."

"So... you saw that... huh?" Lloyd asks sadly.

Kai nods. "Lloyd, what the hell? Why would you do that to yourself?"

"I... I don't know..."

Kai sighs and grabs Lloyd's hand. "I'm sorry for what I said a while ago. About... your feelings being wrong. The truth is, I was questioning my own sexuality at the time and when you said you liked me I— I freaked out. I'm sorry, I never meant to do this to you I never wanted you to go through this ever, I—"

"Kai," Lloyd interrupts him. Kai shuts his mouth. "It's okay. It was both of our faults, really. I didn't tell anyone and I let it get bad. I'm sorry for making you go through this."

Kai sighs. "Just— never do that again, okay?"

Lloyd smiles. "I won't." They look into each other's eyes until realization crosses Lloyd's mind. "Wait a minute, am I cured?"

Kai smiles nervously and rubs his neck again. "Yeah... I kinda like you too."

"Kinda?"

"Okay, a lot."

Let's just say Lloyd's surprised yet joyful "what" alerted a passing nurse and their little reunion was cut short by doctors and nurses coming in to do a check up on the blonde. As Kai was ushered out he turned back to Lloyd. "I— I love you!" He said hastily.

Lloyd laughs, which hurt his throat but he doesn't care. "Love you too." He laughs as Kai's pushed out the door.

~——•{^^}•——~

Okay I really need to a Kai focused story at some point I can't keep doing Lloyd 😂