18

Jay's mind was weaving in and out of multiple thoughts at high speeds, almost creating a feeling of whiplash on her senses. Ever since Simone had briefly described the inner workings of a pack to Jay, she couldn't get her mind off of what it would be like to be part of one. The thought of this had never bothered Jay before, but now it was the only thing on her mind.

"Steaks are ready!" Jay's father hollered from the deck. He came inside carrying a plate full of meat with his gloved hands. The cold from outside followed in behind him, making itself an unwelcomed guest in the heated home. The chilled air lasted for only a moment before the warmth overpowered it, kicking the coldness out until someone opened the door again.

Jay sat on the living room couch, barely paying attention to what was shown on the television. Her nose picked up the mouth-watering scents emitting from the steak, and her stomach growled with hunger. Her dad sure knew how to barbeque.

Before Jay could move from the couch, the sounds of the doorbell echoed in her ears. Once Jay's eyes met her mother's, she smiled encouragingly at Jay and nodded towards the door as she finished up with making her homemade macaroni salad in the kitchen. Getting up from the couch, Jay made her way to the front door, where she could sense someone was on the other side. The scent indicated the person was a werewolf, and Jay's beast was immediately on high alert.

Her hand clutched the doorknob as her internal conflicts were at war with each other. The scents of river water and forestry overpowered the smell of wolf, but it was a familiar scent. Somewhere deep down, Jay knew this person.

Pulling on the door, Jay opened a small gap before recognition took over. "Dylan?" Jay's voice was small as she stared into the deep brown eyes of her childhood friend.

"Hey, stranger." Dylan smiled widely. "Long time no see."

Jay pulled Dylan into a tight hug. She didn't realize how much she missed her friend until seeing him in person. "It's good to see you," Jay's voice mumbled into his neck. Dylan gave one more squeeze before letting her go.

"Good to see you, Dylan. I'm glad you could make it." Jay's father stuck his hand out for Dylan to shake. Their hands connected in a firm grasp for a couple of seconds before letting go. "Come on in. The foods ready."

Conversation drowned around her as she picked around her plate. Her fork skimmed across one piece of food before touching the next, pausing once her thoughts overtook her senses again. Jay couldn't keep up with the conversation, but she answered where appropriate until her parents could sense something was wrong.

"Is everything alright, Jay?" Her mother asked first, keeping a keen eye attached to Jay as she waited for a response.

Jay's movements paused as she stared at her plate of food. Curse you. Jay thought as she brought her eyes up to look at her mother. "Yes, of course, Mom." Jay cracked a smile as she ate a piece of macaroni. Dill coated her tongue, but she wasn't enjoying the flavours with her thoughts making her stomach nauseous.

"Delicious food, Mrs. Evan's," Dylan said after finishing a bite of his baked potato. "Thank you both for having me over for supper."

Jay's mother beamed brightly at the compliment and started talking about how Dylan's parents were doing. Jay was thankful Dylan drew her attention away so easily, but she couldn't shake her father's gaze. He knew something wasn't right with her, but Jay was thankful he wasn't the type of person to push her for an answer at the dinner table.

For dessert, apple pie was served with a scoop of ice cream. Jay's mother went all out tonight as she noticed the pie was also homemade. Tonight was a rare sight. Usually, every man fends for themselves on a hungry stomach.