17

"Out of all the irresponsible things you could've done," Sheriff Evans scolded Jay as she leaned against his patrol vehicle. Jay scrunched her nose as she listened to her father rant.

Breathing out a gruff sigh, Jay stood to her feet, having enough of being scolded for the night. "Dad, listen, I already got in shit from Kieran and Brennan. I know I was irresponsible, but I just wanted to have fun."

"Don't even get me started on those two," Jay's father glared at the two vampires standing off to the side. Brennan was scuffling his feet in the dirt, and Kieran was staring off in the distance with a frown. "You two said you would watch over her if she stayed at your place. How I thought that children could be responsible is beyond me!" Sheriff Evan's radio went off, but he quickly silenced it as he stared hard at the two boys.

"In their defence," Raegan spoke up from beside Kieran, "It was my idea to go out tonight. It had nothing to do with them."

"The point I'm trying to make here is that these two boys are clearly lacking responsibility to keep someone out of trouble." His voice was full of rage as he paced along the pavement. A few cars drove by now and then, and as they did so, their eyes were focused on the two vehicles pulled over in front of the police car. Jay would say they were nosey, but then again, she would do the same thing.

"Once we figured out what happened, we did get them out of trouble," Kieran spoke up with attitude. "If you want to blame someone, blame your daughter and my sister for their lack of brain cells and deductive reasoning skills."

Jay slightly cringed at Kieran's tone. If her father hated one thing, it was attitude. She knew this from experience.

Jay's father stuck out a finger while shaking it aggressively as he paced along the pavement. Her father couldn't muster a complete sentence as his emotions bubbled on his tongue.

To end this fiasco, Jay hugged her father and began to apologize. "It was just an unfortunate night the way things went. It won't happen again." Or at least Jay hoped it wouldn't.

Sherrif Evans began to relax with the hug, thankfully. As Jay pulled away, her father held her at arm's length, holding her shoulders tightly. "Your mother will not be hearing of this. She'll have a heart attack."

Jay smiled. "Thanks, Dad."

"This isn't for you. I'm saving my own ass. If your mother finds out you went to a club, I'll never hear the end of it."

"Nevertheless." Jay hugged her father one last time before completely pulling away.

"I would say you're coming home tonight, but your mother would also have a fit with your choice in clothing." Jay's father shook his head. "I don't even want to get started on that."

"Goodnight, Dad," Jay said as she waved goodbye to him. "I'll come for supper tomorrow night. How does that sound?" Her hand held onto the vehicle's door handle as she watched him.

"Great. I'll barbeque some steak."

She smiled again. Her father loved barbequing. "Sounds delicious. See you then!" And with that, she quickly got into the passenger side of the car, but not before she heard her father yelling at the boys to slow down when they drove. Jay listened to a "yes sir" chorus as she ducked her head in the car.

Once the two vehicles were parked in the garage, the four of them went into the house. Instead of standing around until someone started talking, Jay walked towards the kitchen. She felt her stomach clench with hunger.

Her heels clicking against the stone tiles were the only sound emitting through the house. They were steady. The sound almost gave Jay confidence as she felt multiple presences behind her.