4

Now that the beast was in control of Jay's entire mind and body, nothing was holding it back from doing whatever it pleased. The beast bared its teeth and started circling the other wolf. In a flash, it pounced, and the two of the wolves wrestled in the dirt and dead leaves. Snapping jaws and snarling filled the silent country air. The two wolves broke apart for a moment before they engaged in fighting again.

A set of jaws grabbed onto the beast's hide and ripped it off of the wolf below it. The beast snarled, turning to find wolves and humans pouring out of the tree line. For a moment, the beast was still.

The wolf snapped its jaws at the one who pulled the beast off. The wolf growled at the approaching wolves and people, and none took another step forward.

Someone spoke up, "Alpha, how did a rogue get onto pack lands?" It was an older woman with graying hair and weathered skin.

Alpha turned away from the growing circle of people and wolves and faced the beast. The beast eyed the circle that trapped it on all sides. Alpha growled at the beast and ran towards it, jumping in mid-air. Alpha rammed into the beast, and they tussled on the ground. Jaws snapped, and claws gripped onto flesh and hair. The beast got its hind legs under Alpha's neck and kicked with all its strength. Alpha fell back onto the ground and let out a strained cough.

The beast rammed its head into Alpha and knocked him onto the ground again. The wolves surrounding them growled and snapped their teeth, and the people shouted profanities at the beast. No one interfered with the fight, but they weren't happy doing nothing while Alpha was in a fight.

The beast was losing strength as the fighting continued.

The beast bit down hard on Alpha's hind leg and felt bones crunch and tasted blood. Alpha growled and kicked his leg, but the beast wouldn't let go. It clamped down harder and clawed at Alpha's side.

Alpha turned its head around and grabbed onto the beast's scruff. He bit down hard, and the beast let go of Alphas leg. Alpha didn't let go of the beast's scruff and held the beast on the ground. The beast was enraged.

The beast fought as hard as it could, but the Alpha wouldn't let go, and the beast's energy was dwindling fast. The beast slowed its struggles for a moment.

After a split moment of the beast thinking, the Alpha began to loosen his grip. The beast took this opportunity to twist its head and shoot up to bite onto Alpha's neck. The beast clamped on, and Alpha let go of his grip. The beast noticed that the circle was getting smaller, and some wolves were getting ready to jump onto the beast. It let go of Alpha's neck and clawed at his face before turning tail and jumping over wolves and people.

There were shouts and growls as the beast landed on a wolf on the outside of the circle. The beast kicked away at the wolf and ran towards the forest of trees. Behind, the beast could hear a stampede of angry wolves in pursuit.

The beast weaved through oncoming trees in its path, staying well ahead of the pack of wolves behind. Dead leaves and dirt were stirred up where it ran, leaving a trail of dust in the air for the wolves to follow. The beats ran fast, stretching its legs to their fullest length. It stuck its nose in the air while running. Scents of water came from the distance. It followed.

Although the beast had outrun most of the wolves, some still persevered. A bird shot up from the bushes to the right, distracting the beast from the scents of running water. Shaking out its fur, it stood up from its tumble and continued on its path. The wolves were closer now.

The more it pushed forward, the louder the sounds of rushing water became. It was so close. The trees were getting thinner now, and the ground was becoming harder with rocks. The beast came to a sliding stop when seeing the ground in front of it gave way. It peaked its head over the cliff. Thirty feet below was a canyon full of water. It had found the source of the water, but would it be able to survive the dive?