19

"We'll never join you filthy mutts." Dylan's voice gurgled with strain as he attempted to talk through the claws piercing his throat.

"Then the decision has been made," The rogue said as his nails dug deeper into Dylan's throat. Jay watched in horror as Dylan's breath gurgled in his throat, blood coating his lips as he tried gasping for air. Her skin prickled, fingers tingled. Something trapped behind her breastbone rose to the surface, clawing at her bones with a wild determination to be set free.

"No!" Jay shouted, fearing for Dylan's life. Her voice was laced with something dark, powerful even. Through her fear and anxious nerves arose something more feral that Jay has only felt a handful of times. The beast within her bristled, growling with the awakened darkness residing within. Power scoured the earth around her, seeping into the deep soil and rising within the surrounding trees. She could tell the surrounding rogues felt her energy as they cowered slightly, giving one another glances of uncertainty.

The one Jay assumed to be the leader of the rogues paused his movements as he stared curiously at her. "Interesting." He mused as his fingers loosened around Dylan's throat. "Why didn't you tell me you had Alpha blood running through your veins?" His voice became dark as his eyes swam with a newfound plan. "On second thought, go for the girl. She's valuable."

Without warning, two wolves ran in Jay's direction. She was unprepared, outnumbered, and absolutely terrified. Her training with Brennan had only just begun, and Jay had no idea how to fight off a pack of wolves who were only focused on her. She was doomed.

As the wolves neared her shaking form, Jay's instincts began to kick in with her body thinking faster than her mind. Pushing off her feet, Jay was suspended in the air, the growling wolves below her. Her feet made contact with the roof of Dylan's vehicle, and she stood there for a moment, watching the wolves raise onto their hind legs trying to grab ahold of her with their sharp canines. Her body began to ripple as the bones trapped behind her flesh broke and shifted, reassembling into a different form.

The shift was quick and almost painless. Jay's dark canine body moved fluidly, bristling with a ferocious power deep within her being. Her dark brown and black paws hit the earth as she engaged in the fight. Jay used the beast's wild aggression to her advantage, fuelling the energy into protecting herself from the rogues. She did not deliver killing blows to the rogues, even though they probably didn't deserve her mercy. But Jay had too big of a heart and conscience. She knew her dreams would later be plagued by guilt if she had killed them.

Teeth clamped around her hind leg, shaking it viciously. If Jay weren't in a battle for her life, she would have laughed at how it reminded her of Tucker or Alaska playing with a chew toy. The pain radiating through her flesh sharpened her mind, and adrenaline pumped faster through her veins. Jay rolled onto her back, using her other leg to kick harshly at the wolf's head. Once she was free, she sprung to her paws, ramming him hard into the tree behind him. The wolf lay on the ground unconscious, but there were more advancing in on her. 

One smaller wolf stood before her, looking from the unconscious wolf to her with weary eyes. He shook his head, backing away from her with level eyes, and she knew he was hoping to run away unscathed. She accepted his flee, but one of the rogues in his group bit into his scruff, dragging him back into the fight. He yelped, clawing at the larger wolf's jaw, which shook him violently until he passed out. The larger wolf dropped the unconscious wolf on the ground, no longer interested in him.

Jay was slowly backing away, snarling at any rogue who dared get too close to her, but the surrounding area became smaller as the rogues advanced.

A bright, silver and white wolf jumped on top of an ashy grey wolf getting too close to her. Momentarily confused about who this mystery wolf was, she inhaled its scent and realized it was Dylan. The fur surrounding his neck was covered in blood, but he managed to fight off a few wolves before standing in front of Jay protectively. Jay moved to stand beside Dylan, brushing against him softly as she bared her teeth to the rogues circling in on them. She would not stand behind Dylan and let him fight for her.