24

"I'm surprised with how many people are out and about tonight," Jay commented as she looked around the bar full of people dressed up in costume. "I know it's a Saturday night, but it's Christmas." She furrowed her brow as she watched a slutty Santa dance with a reindeer. Raegan pulled on her arm to get Jay to follow her, but it was hard to look away. "Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" Jay asked Raegan as a Christmas song remix played over the speakers. "People have gone entirely feral," Jay said as she followed behind Raegan toward the bar where a bartender was serving drinks.

"Is this seriously the smartest idea you could come up with?" Brennan scowled as he looked around the bar full of people.

Kieran leaned against the bar top beside Jay as he replied to his brother. "We're in a room full of people in the middle of town. There's no way the rogues would follow us in here."

Jay's heart dropped. She turned to Kieran with a questioning gaze. He caught her look and gave her a crooked smile while slinging an arm around her shoulders. "Don't worry, wolfy," He said by her ear. "As I said, the rogues wouldn't dare consider coming in here. They're loners; they don't like noise or humans."

Raegan turned around with an entire tray full of shots and expertly moved through the crowd to sit at an unoccupied booth. Jay got in beside her, and the two girls rotated through the circular booth until the four of them were seated amongst one another. Kieran reached over the table and grabbed a shot, elbowing Raegan lightly. "Nicely done."

"You might as well have asked for their entire stock," Brennan shook his head in amusement.

Picking up a shot glass, Jay didn't bother trying to figure out what kind of alcohol it was before raising it in the middle of the table. "Merry freakin' Christmas, guys."

Brennan hesitated before grabbing a shot of his own, and the siblings repeated what she had said. Jay smiled, pushing the burn down her throat as she took another. Sighing, Jay felt the heat escape her mouth as she sat back in the booth to observe the bustling crowd. She could hear the human's heartbeats mix in with the bass of the music around her, making her gums ache as hunger enveloped her.

Scanning the group of people in front of her, she picked out a girl on the dancefloor. Nothing stood out about her—she happened to be at the right place at the right time. Jay was about to tell Brennan to move when she noticed a guy in the corner with a girl. Watching him, he looked completely normal, and it looked like the couple were hitting it off, but when the girl turned her attention away for a second, the guy slipped something into her drink.

"I think I found my next drink," Jay growled lowly, but she knew the siblings heard her.

"Roofie guy?" Brennan stared where Jay's focus was.

"I'll be right back." Jay's voice was dangerous as she moved out of the booth and toward her unsuspecting meal. Blending in with the crowd, Jay's body started matching the rhythm of the music, slowly making her way toward the pair. Before the girl could take a sip, Jay bumped into her, making her spill the drink on the floor.

"Hey!" The girl scowled, looking up from her drink and at Jay.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" Jay exclaimed, faking an apologetic smile. "Let me buy you another one?" The girl looked taken aback by Jay's offer and nodded in thanks. Taking the girl's hand in hers, Jay hurriedly pulled her from the dancefloor.

"I knocked your drink out of your hand on purpose," Jay said while ordering the girl a refill. "That guy spiked your drink."

The girl's eyes furrowed in confusion before rage filled her eyes. "You're joking."

Jay shook her head no and handed the girl her new drink. "Keep an eye on this one," Jay said as she bid the girl farewell, looking through the crowd for her prey. Once finding him standing where she had left him, Jay immediately made her way toward him. He was the only thing in the bar she could see, and her senses honed in on his heartbeat, stirring the beast within her. The beast recognized Jay's antiques, ready for the hunt that was taking place.