New Place To Stay

Brooklyn waited anxiously for his new friend, 'Harry Potter' to return.

He did promise that he would, He thought to himself.

But, what if he was an illusion from Puck? This just feels too good to be true!

Suddenly, his heart lifted as footsteps came; and he turned to see the same boy return with two bags in his hand.

Brooklyn smiled. "What took you so long?" He asked jokingly. Harry laughed.

"Ha ha, very funny. I wouldn't leave my new friend alone in the dark!" He replied in the same humorous tone. Harry placed the two bags down and gave one of them to Brooklyn; who opened it to find chicken legs, bread, and a bottle of water.

"It's mostly leftovers from last night I managed to swipe from the fridge. Is your stomach fine?" Harry asked. Brooklyn tested it with a small piece of chicken, but it didn't seem to cramp up too much.

"Think so. A hot drink could help more, but this is fine," he stated, drinking his water after that. "Thank you for helping me, though I look like a monster..." Brooklyn said sadly, looking down.

Harry was surprised. "What? Why would you think that way?"

Brooklyn sighed heavily. "Humans called us that whenever we saved them. I've learned to go with it."

Harry frowned. "I didn't think you were a monster when I first saw you, those people that called you monster were just being wrong in the head. You were the most interesting and maybe the coolest thing I've seen so far!"

Brooklyn gave the kid a half hearted grin. "Well, thanks for being able to see past my first impression," he replied. For a boy that didn't have many friends, Harry didn't seem so bad, like Elisa. Right at that moment in thought his stomach growled again. He chuckled and began to start on the rest of his food. The two of them ate in silence.

Then Harry spoke again. "Uh, you should know that it is supposed to be a thunder and lightning storm for the next couple of days."

Brooklyn groaned and rolled his eyes at the news. "Great, just what I need," he muttered. He looked at his shelter. It didn't seem the ideal place to hide from lightning. It only had half a roof, and the walls were a bit unstable.

"But maybe, you could- but it might be too dangerous," Harry said awkwardly, shuffling his feet.

Brooklyn stared at him incredulously. "Are you asking me to stay at your house?" He just couldn't believe it. No human ever invited him to stay at their homes, ever. This was new and weird for him.

"You don't have to, you know. It was just a thought," Harry quickly said, looking away from him.

The gargoyle smiled. "It's better than getting struck by lightning out here," He countered, as he pushed himself to his feet. Thankfully they weren't too beat up so he didn't need so much medical attention.

Harry looked happy. "You can stay in my cousin's second bedroom! Hardly anyone goes in there and all that's in the room are his broken toys. And if my Aunt ever comes into vacuum you can hide in the closet if it's big enough for you!"

Brooklyn nodded in agreement and the two unlikely friends began their slow walk back to Number 4.

Fortunately since it was sunset there was nobody around on the streets to bother them. They soon arrived at Harry's house, but then Harry had a question.

"Uh, how are we gonna get you into the second bedroom without waking any of them?" He asked Brooklyn.

Brooklyn realized he forgot to tell him. He spread out his wings. "I forgot to tell you that I am able to fly," he said. Harry's eyes were round.

"You can really fly?" He breathed.

"Well, not exactly fly. We glide on currents of air, but if you have a place where I can start from, that would be helpful."

Harry looked around, then spotted the tree he often climbed to get away from Aunt Marge's dog, Ripper.

"You can start from there, and I'll signal you from the window," Harry said, and Brooklyn nodded as he climbed up the tree onto a branch facing the window. He waited until Harry managed to get inside. He opened the window, and waved to him.

Brooklyn spread his wings. Feeling the wind underneath them, he jumped, gliding towards the window.

Harry was amazed at the Gargoyle's gracefulness while gliding. He landed neatly on the windowsill on all fours, giving Harry a smirk at the look on his face.

"That was amazing!" Harry exclaimed in awe as Brooklyn climbed in. He shrugged. "It's nothing, really."

He glanced around the room. A broken bicycle was in one corner, a tv with a broken screen, and other items that were piled in the room. He gave a low whistle.

"You weren't kidding about your cousin's habit of breaking things," he commented.

"It's been like that with him for a while," Harry chuckled. "I hope you will be comfortable, tonight."

Brooklyn then tested the bed, which sank a little, but didn't break beneath his weight. Hey, anything was comfortable after living in a shack!

"I think it should be fine for tonight," he answered. "I just didn't expect anybody to help me, I thought I was on my own. Thank you."

Harry smiled. "Well, I didn't want you to catch a cold out there!"

He chuckled. "We gargoyles normally don't feel cold like a lousy weather storm so much. But guess it was better to be safe than sorry!"

Before Harry left, he turned back to him.

"Do you need anything else?"

Brooklyn shook his head. "No, You've helped me enough. Where do you sleep?"

Harry bowed his head in sadness. "I sleep in the cupboard under the stairs. My Aunt and Uncle turned it into my bedroom."

Brooklyn's eyes flashed white in outrage. "What?!" He growled. He just couldn't believe it. "They couldn't be bothered to give you a bed?"

Harry shook his head. "No, I don't think they like me," he said in a small voice.

Brooklyn felt anger to Harry's relatives spark up, furious that they never gave proper care to the kid. Humans can never share their homes with anyone, her voice sneered in his head. Brooklyn gave a low growl at the memory. He didn't want to remember her while he was stuck here. He suddenly got an idea.

"Perhaps... you can sleep here with me?" He suggested. But Harry turned his offer down.

"No, they will find out I haven't slept in my cupboard and if they catch you up here with me, I'd never forgive myself if they took you away!" He answered.

Brooklyn gave a heavy sigh. He guessed that made sense, but he still felt it was still wrong for someone as young as him to sleep in a filthy cupboard. He slowly nodded.

"I'll see you in the morning," Harry said, holding out his hand. The gargoyle shook it, smiling gratefully at the boy.

"Thank you."

"No problem, sleep well!" Harry replied then walked out, leaving Brooklyn to collapse on the bed, staring up at the ceiling, wondering what was gonna happen to him now with this new living situation before he finally gave in to the comfort of sleep.