Tryouts and Opals

The next course of weeks Harry continued to use the Half Blood Prince's book, sometimes coming across spells written in it like Sectumsempra, as Brooklyn also tried to figure out how he still had Parseltongue after being able to tell Harry the next morning once they were out of earshot of other students. They had both fallen asleep on the couch together the whole night.

"Harry? That thing I avoided telling you last night? Well, besides you, I could understand the Parseltongue while in the Pensive, too." He admitted.

Harry stared in surprise. How could Brooklyn still have that language inside him, even after stabbing the diary? Why did Voldemort even want Brooklyn to still have this ability?

"Well, at least you didn't keep it in for long," he said, but Brooklyn just looked away, not liking the idea of still having this inside him.

Eventually Harry reassured Brooklyn that they would eventually inform Dumbledore after their next couple lessons once it was the opportune time, and even mentioned that he was glad to not be the only one besides Voldemort being able to do this. Brooklyn's spirits lifted a little from his words.

And maybe because of this despite not wanting to before I could perhaps get a little more understanding about snakes, maybe, he thought for himself, stroking his chin in thought. That did seem rather intriguing and a little helpful.

Thankfully it didn't overshadow him into not wanting to have a good year at Hogwarts with his brother thanks to their talk. He learned that Katie was going to be at Quidditch tryouts and knew he definitely needed to be there since this was Harry's first time as Quidditch Captain, too.

In the Quidditch stands, he stood with Harry and Ginny, as Harry tried getting everybody to order, until Brooklyn called sharply to them to listen, which quieted everybody down.

Ron looked pretty nervous about trying out for Keeper, especially when it came to going up against somebody like a burly Gryffindor boy named Cormac McLaggen, a complete prat of a Gryffindor in Brooklyn's POV.

Katie went up to Brooklyn with her Cleansweep in her hands, face shining with excitement.

"I hope I remake the team this year! I just love Quidditch!" She exclaimed. Brooklyn smiled at her.

"You'll do great, Harry would love to have you back on as a Chaser," he told her honestly. Nodding in his direction, she went to play while Brooklyn went to sit in the seats with Hermione.

Most of the tryouts did well, especially with Katie and Ginny, who both easily won spots on the team, Brooklyn cheering when Katie had made three spectacular shots. Then came the two Beaters, Ritchie Cootes and Jimmy Peakes. Not as awesome as the Twins, but alright Beaters.

At last came the Keeper tryouts, Ron's big moment in the Spotlight. Cormac was up first, saving several catches, much to Brooklyn's disappointment, hoping that Ron wouldn't lose his confidence. But on Cormac's final turn, he missed a shot somehow, for he veered way off to the left.

Okay, how could he have missed that one? He thought questionably, glancing over to Hermione, who had a little laughing smile on her face.

Ron was up next, stumbling almost every catch, but managed at least four good ones in the end, surpassing McLaggen by a long shot.

He was beyond furious. "That isn't fair, Potter! He missed half of them!" Cormac stormed, towering over Harry. But Brooklyn puffed out his chest, towering above Cormac even more, the boy's face faltering.

"Yeah, well, too bad. Ron made the team, not you, so beat it," Brooklyn growled, pointing his finger at Cormac's chest, whose face flushed furiously as he stalked away. Harry grinned.