chapter 3- sleeping situation

The plane landed hours later. the soldier tapped on her shoulder, trying to be gentle but not succeeding. her pushed her a little too hard as she woke up.
he hardly talked, she heard him talk maybe once or twice. but that was when he thought she wasn't listening.
he gestured they were there and to get her bag. they walked out of the plane onto an airstrip. the mission was in Moscow. 15 hours from the base, she was just surprised she slept for so long, but she needed it.

when the pilot met them behind the plane he noticed the bruising on her neck from the fight the day before.
"hey um, what is that on your neck." he asked trying to see past the part of her suit that covered them.
she looked almost panicked, not knowing what to say. she knew if he said anything trying to pry, it wouldn't be good. she looked at the soldier for a
way out of the conversation. he could see she was uncomfortable.
"we need to go, thank you for the flight." he said with a deep voice, as he picked they're bags up and walked to the car that was parked waiting.

he threw your bag in the back as he sat in the drivers seat.
"hey watch that! i have actual stuff in there." she said with an almost innocent but warning tone.
he just looked at her and started the engine, driving from the airstrip to the motel they were assigned to stay at.
it was a small motel on the side of the road. they walked in, the soldier had slipped a jacket over him and gloves to hide his metal arm. the man at the reception desk handed us the keys and they headed towards the room. as they entered it had a big king bed and a small bathroom on the right. she sat down on the bed, pulling her shoes off and plopping down on the bed. she saw the soldier walking around for a while, obviously not comfortable with the current sleeping situation. she got up and walked towards him, his breath hitching. she reached behind him and grabbed her bag off the table.

"you know you can sit down. we only have one bed anyways." she insisted.

he just looked at her, not moving a muscle. she walked to the bathroom and changed into a pair of shorts and a black t-shirt. she came back into the room to see the soldier sitting on the bed, nearly falling off of the edge. she went to lay on the other side, seeing him glance at her.

"look you can have the bed, i'll sleep on the pull out sofa." she said hoping he would at-least talk to her.

but nothing. he never talked. never even whispered a word. she picked up her pillow and a thin blanket, walking to the couch.

before she could pull it out he walked up behind her, touching her shoulder.
"i'm taking the couch, go sleep in the bed."

she hesitated, but before she could say no he took the pillow and blanket. she looked at him and walked back to the bed, climbing under the sheets.
he opened the pull out couch and laid down.

she turned off the light that was illuminating the entire room. there was awkward silence for a while, she felt herself drifting off to sleep, before hearing him.

"um goodnight y/n."  he whispered.

"goodnight." she said, falling into a deep sleep.
she didn't know his name let alone the fact he only had one name everyone knew.

"the winter soldier"